The 2023 Bullpen Thread

sportsfan8703

DFA Voth, Option Akin

Voth did well for us last season, but with two right handed arms returning from IL and the other righties in the pen pitching well, it just makes sense to risk losing him. If he clears waivers, great. If he doesn't, there is probably an equal or better option already in the organization or one that will hit the waiver wire. It is the type of choice that good teams have to make.

Let Akin go down and see if he can put in consistent effective work.

It is also time to move DL Hall to bullpen role to possibly take Perez's spot, if he continues to be ineffective.

33 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

DFA Voth, Option Akin

Voth did well for us last season, but with two right handed arms returning from IL and the other righties in the pen pitching well, it just makes sense to risk losing him. If he clears waivers, great. If he doesn't, there is probably an equal or better option already in the organization or one that will hit the waiver wire. It is the type of choice that good teams have to make.

Let Akin go down and see if he can put in consistent effective work.

It is also time to move DL Hall to bullpen role to possibly take Perez's spot, if he continues to be ineffective.

There's a reason that we gave Voth the contract that we did.  I think we envisioned this happening and gave him a guaranteed deal for this year, so that a team couldn't just pick him up if we did need to DFA him.  It's smart.  It's like we did with O'Hearn.  We essentially bought and option, for guys that didn't have options, but giving them guaranteed money.  

• Upvote 1

The bullpen looks to be in a really good place right now.   Baker looks even better than last year.  Baumann's knuckle curve looks like a perfect compliment to his 95-96 mph fastball.    Cano looks like he just needs to throw strikes and Felix is Felix.    That's 4 guys we can feel pretty confident in and we have Givens and Tate possibly coming soon.    Now, Voth and Perez seem to be perfectly healthy.  Each has the velocity.   Voth needs to get the curveball consistent again.   If he does that he's a weapon as well.    I don't think that is a farfetched wish.    Perez is a bit of a mystery.   His fastball is still 96-97.    His breaking pitch doesn't seem to as effective this year.   I don't think they are ready to move on from either guy but IF Tate and Givens come back it's almost inevitable that 2 of Akin, Perez, and Voth are gone and you'd assume that one of the LHP would stay.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The bullpen looks to be in a really good place right now.   Baker looks even better than last year.  Baumann's knuckle curve looks like a perfect compliment to his 95-96 mph fastball.    Cano looks like he just needs to throw strikes and Felix is Felix.    That's 4 guys we can feel pretty confident in and we have Givens and Tate possibly coming soon.    Now, Voth and Perez seem to be perfectly healthy.  Each has the velocity.   Voth needs to get the curveball consistent again.   If he does that he's a weapon as well.    I don't think that is a farfetched wish.    Perez is a bit of a mystery.   His fastball is still 96-97.    His breaking pitch doesn't seem to as effective this year.   I don't think they are ready to move on from either guy but IF Tate and Givens come back it's almost inevitable that 2 of Akin, Perez, and Voth are gone and you'd assume that one of the LHP would stay.

Not to mention Coloumbe who has been very good for us so far this year.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Not to mention Coloumbe who has been very good for us so far this year.  

Perez, Cololumbe, and Voth, are all out of options.  Stuff happens.  Nobody saw Cano coming up and doing this.  So we'll just see what happens when Givens comes back.  Right now, I think we would option Akin.