Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I thought the updates were weekly last year.

I see Bright debuting in the top 20 and Denoyer making a big jump. 

Who do you move down for Kjerstad? Despite the strong start against Double A pitching, I can’t say definitively he’s a better prospect than any of the players ahead of him. 

I think DL Hall sees the biggest drop in the first rankings. Still probably in the top ten. 

These are power rankings.  A little different than prospect rankings.  Denoyer, I’d only move past Carter Young who might drop down quite a bit.  I agree that Bright could be top 20.   Kjerstad?   I ‘m thinking he’s inside the top 10.  I think I could make a case for top 5.

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When is the first update?   How far does Kjerstad move up from 12 and where does Trace Bright debut on this list?

They will be done each Monday. I wanted to have a full week + of games before making some moves. Bright should have already have been on the list ahead of McDermott from last year's rankings. That was an accidental oversite.

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

These are power rankings.  A little different than prospect rankings.  Denoyer, I’d only move past Carter Young who might drop down quite a bit.  I agree that Bright could be top 20.   Kjerstad?   I ‘m thinking he’s inside the top 10.  I think I could make a case for top 5.

Thinking to 5 for Kjerstad too.

Big heart emoji for the Ortiz ranking!  Dude's been killing it on all sides of the game for quite a while.  Well earned!

Maybe Hall lurks here and uses this as motivation to throw strikes!  

The next group of pitcher is really interesting - Povich, Bright, McDermott.  How the develop this year will go a long way to addressing the 'lack of pitching depth' mantra.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Early prospect OPS leaders:

Willems 1.494

Kjerstad 1.229

Haskin 1.152

Holliday 1.068

Acevedo .933

Prieto .933

Nice to see Acevedo appear unexpectedly on this list.

Basallo (18), Willems (19), Holliday (19), and Acevedo (20) on Delmarva.     Nice!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 players once the short season clubs start up. (Updated as of 17 April)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   DEL (A)
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   BAL
3 Joey Ortiz SS 8 UP Nor (AAA)
4 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 6 UP Nor (AAA)
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 12 UP BOW (AA)
6 Connor Norby 2B 7 UP Nor (AAA)
7 Colton Cowser OF 3 DOWN Nor (AAA)
8 Samuel Basallo C 10 UP DEL (A)
9 D.L. Hall LHP 4 DOWN Nor (AAA)
10 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 5 DOWN BOW (AA)
11 Cade Povich LHP 9 DOWN BOW (AA)
12 Dylan Beavers OF 11 DOWN ABN (A+)
13 Jud Fabian OF 13   ABN (A+)
14 Trace Bright RHP 17 UP ABN (A+)
15 Chayse McDermott RHP 18 UP BOW (AA)
16 Max Wagner 3B 14 DOWN ABN (A+)
17 Noah Denoyer RHP 21 UP Nor (AAA)
18 Hudson Haskin OF 22 UP Nor (AAA)
19 Drew Rom LHP 23 UP Nor (AAA)
20 Frederick Bencosme INF 15 DOWN ABN (A+)
21 Cesar Prieto 2B 16 DOWN BOW (AA)
22 John Rhodes OF 19 DOWN BOW (AA)
23 Justin Armbruester RHP 24 UP BOW (AA)
24 Carlos Tavera RHP 25 UP ABN (A+)
25 Creed Willems C UR UP DEL (A)
26 Maverick Handley C 28 UP Nor (AAA)
27 Yennier Cano RHP UR UP BAL
28 Jean Pinto RHP UR UP ABN (A+)
29 Carter Young SS 20 DOWN DEL (A)
30 Juan De Los Santos RHP 26 DOWN DEL (A)

Bubble Players INF     FCL
  Stiven Acevedo OF   NEW Del (A)
  Silas Ardoin C 29 DOWN Del (A)
  Juan Rojas LHP 30 DOWN Del (A)
  Anderson De Los Santos UTL   NEW Del (A)

Just to keep tabs from week to week.

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Anyone slightly worried that none of the 22 picks are doing well in their SSS?  Fabian, Wagner, Beavers, Young.  No one is doing good.  Just Jackson Holiday.  

Not particularly for various reason:

• Fabian, Wagner and Beavers are all at Aberdeen, which seems to suppress offense in recent years.
  • Wagner in particular got off to a terrible start but has been much better recently.
  • We've seen many prospects initially struggle while the Orioles make some swing changes, only to then show significant improvement.

I don't really question their offensive player development at this point.

Carter Young I wasn't particularly high on anyway, but I seem to recall that he was looking at some pretty major changes to his swing as well.

58 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Hopefully Cano keeps pushing the boundaries of where would you power rank a pop-up relief prospect.

@Tony-OH, do you consider ongoing eligibility by the 50 innings/130 at-bats, or the service days?    If it is the innings, he could save the All-Star game and still be in the Monday update!

I try to do both if I know the service days. Sometimes that can be tricky if guys go up and down a lot. Cano is going nowhere anytime soon though.

• Thanks 1