Ryan McKenna 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

On 4/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, Spy Fox said:

Don't you know? The best way to run a healthy team-oriented business is to make sure your employees know that one mistake results in immediate termination. 

I used to freelance with CBS News (decades ago) and the producers enjoyed repeatedly warning me, "We have a motto here: Never make the same mistake once." That had a way of sinking in.

God Bless Bob Simon (1941-2015).

Edited by LA2

I was watching the MLB channel the other day and Harold Reynolds brought up the possibility that Gunnar Henderson running out towards the ball, while McKenna was running in, could have had Ryan wondering if Gunnar was still coming towards him. With that short outfield.. who knows?

The game isn't always won or lost in the 9th inning..  and a 3 game series isn't always won or lost in the 3rd game. The outfield sucked that series. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 9:24 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Kudos to McKenna bouncing back from “the drop”. He’s got his OPS up to almost .700. He’s looked good in the field and has had some big hits as well. 

And now, his OPS is up to .795, and .857 vs. LHP.  It’s a microscopic sample size, as his OPS was under .500 as of April 25.   Amazing what four good games will do when you don’t get that many at bats to begin with.  

Let’s say the O’s go on a 10-year rampage where they go something like 929-691.   Someone will still be saying, “it could have been 930-690 if McKenna hadn’t dropped that fly ball in Boston!”

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

And now, his OPS is up to .795, and .857 vs. LHP.  It’s a microscopic sample size, as his OPS was under .500 as of April 25.   Amazing what four good games will do when you don’t get that many at bats to begin with.  

Let’s say the O’s go on a 10-year rampage where they go something like 929-691.   Someone will still be saying, “it could have been 930-690 if McKenna hadn’t dropped that fly ball in Boston!”

I don't know how this will go away. Whenever I look at the standings, I always think we should have 1 more win and 1 less loss. Unless we have a comfortable playoff spot, I think I will keep doing it.

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I don't know how this will go away. Whenever I look at the standings, I always think we should have 1 more win and 1 less loss. Unless we have a comfortable playoff spot, I think I will keep doing it.

If it weren’t for his 2 run HR and 3 RBI we would’ve lost yesterday after having a big lead. Consider his debt repaid and let it go. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, waroriole said:

If it weren’t for his 2 run HR and 3 RBI we would’ve lost yesterday after having a big lead. Consider his debt repaid and let it go. 

I hear ya, but my brain says that's what he's supposed to do. He's not supposed to drop flyballs that lose games.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Build a million bridges.......

45 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I hear ya, but my brain says that's what he's supposed to do. He's not supposed to drop flyballs that lose games.

Mateo just made a terrible error on a potential double play ball. The out probability on that play probably isn't the 99% of McKenna's ball but it's close. The main difference is that we ended up winning the game despite Mateo's error. I don't see a pattern in McKenna's case, the question is whether he provides enough overall value. 

McKenna deserves a bit of respect from last night’s game. He made a couple solid plays in left (even though I cringe every time he one-hands catch that doesn’t land squarely in the webbing), and that drag bunt single directly after the Mullins no-doubt homer was a great idea. 

• Upvote 2

Quietly hitting .294. Only 34 AB of course, but he's contributing. Could have spiraled on him after the dropped pop-up, but he bounced back nicely. I don't always like the McKenna Pinch Hit, a Hyde staple, but he's got a good role on this team. 

• Upvote 2