GrayRod or Hall up next?

banks703

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

I certainly understand this take. I just think Voth gives you a better chance to win than whatever this version of Grayson is. Voth has done it before, and Grayson has just looked so, so bad dating back to last year.

Hey maybe it clicks for him with the adrenaline of being in the big leagues, and I'll be interested to find out, but I just don't find it very likely. And I think it's just going to be a waste. You're burning a year of control just on the chance that he's maybe better than Voth against ML hitters for one game. And doing that knowing he's clearly still working through some things in his development. What is the upside here?

I was very supportive of the decision to send Grayson down, for the simple reason that he didn’t appear ready to be one of our five best starters and clearly wasn’t pitching anywhere near his best.  His shaky first start in AAA just reinforced that decision.  

Saying that, with Bradish possibly missing a couple of starts and a shortage of possible candidates today, the equation changes.   It really boils down to Grayson vs. Voth.   For that matter, it wouldn’t surprise me to see both of them pitch in this game.  Neither one is someone I’d bet on to last 5 innings today.  

And, I won’t be surprised if the O’s play a game of musical chairs with Norfolk in the next few days.  Grayson today, a short reliever the next 4 days, then another Norfolk starter.   Depending on how things go exactly for Grayson today.  

Anyway, I hope Grayson pitches well today and makes a case to stay on the roster if Bradish is going on the IL.  If he does, it’s all upside.  If he doesn’t, no real harm done IMO.   He goes back to Norfolk to work on stuff.  

Whether you agree or disagree with the Grayson move, you have to admit it’s going to be exciting to see if he rises to the challenge.  Unfortunately for me, I had accepted an invitation to a Nats game today and will have to miss watching Grayson’s debut.  But then, that’s what DVRs are for!

Just now, Frobby said:

I expected that.  Can’t have him pitching on a still-sore foot.  That’s a recipe for a more serious injury.  

Sucks for him too. Had a relatively good spring, outside of that one really bad start.

Stuff looked good and then a freak injury. He was in a ton of pain. Hopefully it’s not going to keep him out too long. 

I would guess that he will get 1-2 rehab starts just because he will not have pitched much at all by the time he is ready. So, if I had to guess, he ends up being away from the team for 3-5 weeks.

Man, I’m in Texas and am blacked out of the game. I have a lot of important work stuff to do today, but even so I am very tempted to drive three hours to the game. I could get a seat right behind the visiting dugout for a hundred bucks. Ugh. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Whether you agree or disagree with the Grayson move, you have to admit it’s going to be exciting to see if he rises to the challenge.  Unfortunately for me, I had accepted an invitation to a Nats game today and will have to miss watching Grayson’s debut.  But then, that’s what DVRs are for!

Oh damn. I’m right across the street from the Nats stadium.  Hopefully traffic won’t be an issue when I leave today.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Sucks for him too. Had a relatively good spring, outside of that one really bad start.

Stuff looked good and then a freak injury. He was in a ton of pain. Hopefully it’s not going to keep him out too long. 

I would guess that he will get 1-2 rehab starts just because he will not have pitched much at all by the time he is ready. So, if I had to guess, he ends up being away from the team for 3-5 weeks.

Good chance.  Hopefully closer to 3.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh damn. I’m right across the street from the Nats stadium.  Hopefully traffic won’t be an issue when I leave today.

What are you doing down there?   Crowds of 10 k and 15 k the last two nights, so it probably won’t be much of an issue.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes.  They could send him down after today, keep him down until the end of April and still get the extra year.

Thanks, that's what I thought but with all the angst I was thinking that I missed something and the new CBA changed it. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have two meetings this afternoon that I really can't postpone or I'd be taking some "emergency" leave today.  😞