Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

I don't think the hip injury to Mateo is serious. It's just discomfort. Give him a few days. Maybe 3-4 at the most and he will be fine. Brandon Hyde said after the game that they will check how Mateo feels after the day off on Thursday.

I've had a hip problem myself during my playing career. I remember getting laughed at by fans observing the game because of how I ran down first base, all hobbling like a wounded horse. It was painful. But I kept playing through it and I was better within a week. We were the best team in the league that season too.

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, wildcard said:

2B will come open when Frazier is traded.  He is on a one year contract and if they can get something in trade he is gone later this season.  Ortiz, Urias, Westburg can battle it out.

Okay, devil's advocate here, but this is a serious question, not just taking exception during this transition from tanking to contending.

So, what if the team is humming along, and we're looking like a serious playoff contender? If we're out of the hunt, trading vets for prospects is a no-brainer, but if Frazier is a contributing part of a winning team, do you eject him, and bring up a prospect who 'might' deliver similar value in his role? 

Or, reading your post, do you not think we'll be in contention and can afford to jettison vets like Frazier, and let the kids play?

5 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Okay, devil's advocate here, but this is a serious question, not just taking exception during this transition from tanking to contending.

So, what if the team is humming along, and we're looking like a serious playoff contender? If we're out of the hunt, trading vets for prospects is a no-brainer, but if Frazier is a contributing part of a winning team, do you eject him, and bring up a prospect who 'might' deliver similar value in his role? 

Or, reading your post, do you not think we'll be in contention and can afford to jettison vets like Frazier, and let the kids play?

If team is in contention, I don't see any way they trade him. He is a lefty bat (unlike Westburg and Ortiz) and provides a reasonable downside protection at 2B. (reliable, solid defense and OBP ability). Ultimately, I think those two reasons are why he was signed (maybe with a dash of veteranosity thrown in).

If anyone is getting traded despite winning, I think it's Urias.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If anyone is getting traded despite winning, I think it's Urias.

And on that note, I became concerned with how he was reacting to the baseball tonight. I think getting beaned in the head has made him afraid of the baseball. Which is one of the reasons he tried to backhand that ground ball/drive to 3rd base rather than square up and scoop it like we are taught to do. This seemed to be the case at the plate too. I fear the scary way he got hurt has made him very uncomfortable and afraid of the ball.

If the Orioles have a sports psychiatrist, now might be a good time to put them to use and try to help get Urias back to being comfortable and unafraid of the baseball.

Edited by Billy F-Face3
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We face Lefty SP in 3 of our next 4 games. I’d send Vavra down for Westburg, or DFA O’Hearn for Westburg. 

The best option is just that Mateo can play. 

If Mateo goes on the IL the logical call up would be Ortiz. Bats R and he's on the 40.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

If Mateo goes on the IL the logical call up would be Ortiz. Bats R and he's on the 40.

Ortiz is getting over his own concussion too. Mateo is likely ok. Maybe he just takes it easy on the SB for a week or two. All of those slides/impacts with the ground, can’t be good for his hip. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ortiz is getting over his own concussion too. Mateo is likely ok. Maybe he just takes it easy on the SB for a week or two. All of those slides/impacts with the ground, can’t be good for his hip. 

I agree that hopefully Mateo will be good to go after a day off. Looks like Ortiz is back and playing...I just don't think they'll do anything with a 40 man spot for what may be a short IL stint. My preference is for Westburg to come up and stay...I just don't know when that day will come.

We’d probably just DFA O’Hearn to add Westburg to the 40 man. Or we could put Tate on the 60 day DL, but then he can’t come back until 5/27. We could but Seth Johnson on the 60 day DL but I think that would start his service time(idk). 

We’re a good team. We’re facing 3/4 LH SP. There’s no reason we should be playing short handed. 

I don’t want to see anyone get hurt but I’m also excited at the possibility of Ortiz playing everyday up here.

If he comes up here and plays well and looks as good defensively as advertised, it will be a really interesting decision on what happens with SS once Mateo is back and healthy.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want to see anyone get hurt but I’m also excited at the possibility of Ortiz playing everyday up here.

If he comes up here and plays well and looks as good defensively as advertised, it will be a really interesting decision on what happens with SS once Mateo is back and healthy.

Would he play every day?   Or would they put Henderson at SS with Frazier and Urias at 2B and 3B, with Ortiz there as the backup and getting maybe a couple of starts?  That’s what I’d bet on.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Would he play every day?   Or would they put Henderson at SS with Frazier and Urias at 2B and 3B, with Ortiz there as the backup and getting maybe a couple of starts?  That’s what I’d bet on.  

I guess it’s possible, considering they keep moving Gunnar around when they shouldn’t be messing with him.  I would hope they would use the opportunity to get a real look at Ortiz though.