Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

I think the O's need to find a way to get more RH power into the lineup, and to me Westburg is the obvious candidate.  Westburg needs to be the main beneficiary of any cut in Mateo's playing time.  I think Gunnar is fine at SS and Westburg can spell Frazier at 2B and get some AB at 3B as well.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I like to look over a significant amount of time/games before deciding when to pull the plug on a player. 

Over Mateo's last 100 games covering 344 PAs he put up the following numbers:

.211/.251/.331/.582 
2B - 15
3B - 1
HR - 7
BB: 17
K: 82
SB: 28 out of 32

While he may have another hot streak in him like April or last August, he is who he is at this point. 

These numbers are just brutal, and it's important to keep in mind that they include his hot streak early this season.  

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It was shocking how quickly he vanished. 

Even for a guy like Mateo who can’t get on base unless he’s hitting .340.

I agree it went a lot faster than anyone could have imagined but still, the way people buy into SSS is unreal to me.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree it went a lot faster than anyone could have imagined but still, the way people buy into SSS is unreal to me.

I was one of them, I think I said between .800-.850 in the poll.

Guys like Henderson can go super quiet and still add value by getting on base. Guys like Mateo… can’t. It’s easy for people to fall in love with him I think because he has all the tools. But the dude is 28. 

He is what he is. A below average offensive player and an excellent defender.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think the O's need to find a way to get more RH power into the lineup, and to me Westburg is the obvious candidate.  Westburg needs to be the main beneficiary of any cut in Mateo's playing time.  I think Gunnar is fine at SS and Westburg can spell Frazier at 2B and get some AB at 3B as well.  

Why are you so confident that Westburg is better than Ortiz?  Why wouldn’t you give the better defender and guy who is up a shot first?