Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Some day, someone will explain to me why the scouting scale starts at 20 and ends at 80.  It’s kind of like the SAT.

My understanding is that it's supposed to be based on standard deviations. Per fangraphs:

The invention of the scale is credited to Branch Rickey and whether he intended it or not, it mirrors various scientific scales. 50 is major league average, then each 10 point increment represents a standard deviation better or worse than average. In a normal distribution, three standard deviations in either direction should include 99.7% of your sample, so that’s why the scale is 20 to 80 rather than 0 and 100. That said, the distribution of tools isn’t a normal curve for every tool, but is somewhere close to that for most.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Some day, someone will explain to me why the scouting scale starts at 20 and ends at 80.  It’s kind of like the SAT.

It is an interesting scale but it does make some sense. I mean, if they're being graded a 20 in something, that's still better than most humans since they are at least good at baseball. 

Here's the real background from a fangraph article:

"The invention of the scale is credited to Branch Rickey and whether he intended it or not, it mirrors various scientific scales. 50 is major league average, then each 10 point increment represents a standard deviation better or worse than average. In a normal distribution, three standard deviations in either direction should include 99.7% of your sample, so that’s why the scale is 20 to 80 rather than 0 and 100. That said, the distribution of tools isn’t a normal curve for every tool, but is somewhere close to that for most."

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

How could it not be 80? Basallo crushed two balls in 2 days. 

I don't know how far he hit the one yesterday, but his Thursday homer was 454 according to the broadcasters. A mammoth blast indeed. Only two home runs have been hit farter in the majors this year, but 30 different players hit at least one home run that distance last year and 51 different players in 2021. 

Now, he's only 18-years old so I could probably move his future raw power to 80, but again, 80s are used very rarely because it's supposed to be the absolute best of the best all-time. 

In other words, Arron Judge would get an 80 game power ranking for setting the record last year, afterall, the man set the legitimate home run record of all of MLB.

It's pretty clear that Basallo has very special raw power that he's already tapping into game wise this year, but it's very early in the season and team's have not made adjustments to him yet.

He's an exciting young man to watch this year for sure.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know how far he hit the one yesterday, but his Thursday homer was 454 according to the broadcasters. A mammoth blast indeed. Only two home runs have been hit farter in the majors this year, but 30 different players hit at least one home run that distance last year and 51 different players in 2021. 

Now, he's only 18-years old so I could probably move his future raw power to 80, but again, 80s are used very rarely because it's supposed to be the absolute best of the best all-time. 

In other words, Arron Judge would get an 80 game power ranking for setting the record last year, afterall, the man set the legitimate home run record of all of MLB.

It's pretty clear that Basallo has very special raw power that he's already tapping into game wise this year, but it's very early in the season and team's have not made adjustments to him yet.

Agree. Im probably overreacting some but thats the fun in following prospects. Basallo wont even be in the majors for 2-3 years yet.

Just enjoying the moment. 

If it's really three standard deviations, an 80 means is that you're better than 997 out of 1000 MLB players at something. There are roughly 330 active MLB hitters at any point in time, so an 80 means you're probably better at whatever the 80 is in than all but one or two active hitters. I'm not saying the scale is actually used like that, but it if is, I doubt Basallo, or anyone in the system, is an 80 raw power.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

By getting his own supply of hot balls from MLB?

I'm not saying he had anything to do with the decision but it's pretty clear he had help.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By getting his own supply of hot balls from MLB?

I'm not saying he had anything to do with the decision but it's pretty clear he had help.

Pretty clear he had help with what?   I haven’t noticed any other player in that series hitting the ball over 400 feet?

In the end it’s all relative but I don’t think anything is clear.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty clear he had help with what?   I haven’t noticed any other player in that series hitting the ball over 400 feet?

In the end it’s all relative but I don’t think anything is clear.

They were using different balls in Yankee games near the end of the season.

Folks collected and tested the balls.

Once again not suggesting Judge even knew it was happening.

But I don't see how you can say a record is "legitimate" when something like that happens.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were using different balls in Yankee games near the end of the season.

Folks collected and tested the balls.

Once again not suggesting Judge even knew it was happening.

But I don't see how you can say a record is "legitimate" when something like that happens.

I thought we were talking about Basallo.

• Upvote 1