Jean Pinto 2023

Frobby

Second start for Pinto also was very good.  5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K’s.  46 of 68 pitches for strikes.  The main thing for him is to keep the walks down.  If he keeps doing that, I think he gets a pretty quick promotion to Bowie.  

He's 2nd to Bright in K/9 among the admittedly tiny handful of Sally starters who have completed two decent length turns.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=pit&qual=8&type=1&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=5,1

Walk rate under 8 so far.

In the mid-minors, it seems like a lot of hot starter seasons go like 10 starts at Level 1 and 10 starts at Level 2, so it'll be interesting to follow if either Pinto or Bright can taste some AA success this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very good game last night and leading Sally Pitchers with a 37% K rate.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=pit&qual=y&type=1&team=all&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=9,1

He's listed 5-11 175 (even Dean Kremer, who seems to me a trim MLB SP, is listed 6-2, 210), so I somewhat automatically wonder how his repertoire translates to the bullpen.     He also has the best HR/9 of all Sally SP, though cavernous Aberdeen perhaps helping with that.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Very good game last night and leading Sally Pitchers with a 37% K rate.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=pit&qual=y&type=1&team=all&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=9,1

He's listed 5-11 175 (even Dean Kremer, who seems to me a trim MLB SP, is listed 6-2, 210), so I somewhat automatically wonder how his repertoire translates to the bullpen.     He also has the best HR/9 of all Sally SP, though cavernous Aberdeen perhaps helping with that.

Pedro Martinez and Fernando Valenzuela were both under six feet, I think Tim Lincecum too. We clearly have an Ace in the workings 😉

Lincecum was 5'11" 170 when he came up and threw 98. The dude really was "The Freak"

Of all the times the Orioles drafted someone other than who I wanted, Lincecum was the one I wanted most at the time and the one that hurt the most when we missed on him. But hey, Billy Rowell hit the ball 500 ft once!

Edited by ChosenOne21

On 5/4/2023 at 7:41 PM, SilverRocket said:

image.png.3028298fd543500ddbe019caa1758549.png

Pinto has flown under the radar a bit. Including his one start in May, he has 34 Ks in 22.0 IP.

The following question truly does not matter, but I'm overly curious in how this team operates; Does anyone know if these guys who receive these recognitions get any kind of reward? Like a $500 pay bonus, or a watch, or an Arby's gift card? Or is it just a Twitter post?

Edited by CharmCityHokie

6 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The following question truly does not matter, but I'm overly curious in how this team operates; Does anyone know if these guys who receive these recognitions get any kind of reward? Like a $500 pay bonus, or a watch, or an Arby's gift card? Or is it just a Twitter post?

I'll chip in for the Arby's gift card.

They have the meats.

And I like Pinto.

• Haha 1

Pinto with 4 shutout innings tonight, 1 hit, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts.  

His numbers to date: 42.1 IP, 2.34 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 13.8 K/9, 4.3 K/BB.

The O’s continue to handle Pinto with kid gloves, as he hasn’t thrown more than 76 pitches in any outing.  He threw 71 tonight.  

In my opinion he’s overdue for a promotion.   

On 6/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

133 IP at A+ over the last two seasons. Aberdeen is pitcher friendly. We’ll find out more when he gets promoted to Bowie. 

Bowie is not pitcher friendly. That's for sure. 303 feet down each of the lines at the foul poles. However, it is 405 to strait away Center, IIRC.