Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

Last 7 days 6 6 23 21 3 6 2 1 1 1 0 0 2 8 .286 .348 .619 .967                    
Last 14 days 13 12 47 41 7 9 2 2 2 4 0 0 6 14 .220 .319 .512 .831                    
Last 28 days 22 20 78 67 11 14 3 2 3 5 0 1 11 21 .209 .321 .448 .768

He's warming up. Talk of sending Gunnar down looks to be premature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To borrow an expression NFL analysts like to use alot, I think Gunnar is pressing too hard. The Orioles gotta find a way to help Gunnar feel loose and relaxed to just play the game of Baseball. Then everything else will come. I will say, I've been impressed with Gunnar's defense at 3rd base these past couple games. He seems to be getting really good at charging soft ground balls, gathering himself, and making a good throw.

This is just an observation from watching, nothing else, but it often looks like he is swinging a heavy bat with how late he is on fastballs sometimes, even those around 93-94 mph which he should be crushing. It just doesn't seem normal to me that a young athletic guy is swinging late on even medium velocity fastballs. 

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:
Last 7 days 6 6 23 21 3 6 2 1 1 1 0 0 2 8 .286 .348 .619 .967                    
Last 14 days 13 12 47 41 7 9 2 2 2 4 0 0 6 14 .220 .319 .512 .831                    
Last 28 days 22 20 78 67 11 14 3 2 3 5 0 1 11 21 .209 .321 .448 .768

He's warming up. Talk of sending Gunnar down looks to be premature.

Thanks for putting that together. That chart trend is impressive.

2 hours ago, FlaO'sFan said:

This is just an observation from watching, nothing else, but it often looks like he is swinging a heavy bat with how late he is on fastballs sometimes, even those around 93-94 mph which he should be crushing. It just doesn't seem normal to me that a young athletic guy is swinging late on even medium velocity fastballs. 

He is letting the ball travel as far as he can. When he was coming up he often had oppo homers down the left field line because of it.  Adley is similar.  He just needs to learn when to sit on a pitch in an area in a good count and turn on it.  

He's the youngest player in the MLB, but he does not (right now) have an MLB caliber glove. Just doesn't have it. His throws are off line way too often. His footwork seems out of sorts on some chances. The defensive fundamentals are not all the way there yet. I think Gunnar is quite alright and doing fine, but he is definitely playing like a rookie 21 year old. The talent is there though, no doubt about that.

Kinda feel like it's 1 and a quarter step forward, 1 step back with Gunnar.  He had a few games there where he seemed to really be making good contact, then has a day like yesterday where he strikes out 3 times.  Like you see some progress there, it's just kind of slow and steady. 

He was briefly above the Mendoza line again yesterday, and the OPS is still over .700 thanks to the OBP.

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

To borrow an expression NFL analysts like to use alot, I think Gunnar is pressing too hard. The Orioles gotta find a way to help Gunnar feel loose and relaxed to just play the game of Baseball. Then everything else will come. I will say, I've been impressed with Gunnar's defense at 3rd base these past couple games. He seems to be getting really good at charging soft ground balls, gathering himself, and making a good throw.

It looks like he wants to prove something to someone. When he gets more confidence, he will play more relaxed, of that I have no doubt. But even at the current level, his game looks good.

Hi all :)

Edited by Belkster

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm dying for a Gunnar breakout series. Not just a game here or there. I want this guy to terrorize a team for 3 games. 

Here's hoping it starts tomorrow against the Yankees.

One thing I will say...I don't really like his body language.  Strikes out in a key moment, slams a helmet, slams a bat.  And I get it, he's young, maybe that stuff goes away over time.  But it's not always a good look for him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

One thing I will say...I don't really like his body language.  Strikes out in a key moment, slams a helmet, slams a bat.  And I get it, he's young, maybe that stuff goes away over time.  But it's not always a good look for him.  

He’s frustrated. No issues with that.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was chuckling pretty good at the look on his face after the Kiermaier catch. He looked like he was ready to hang it up and go fishing. 

I think that Gunnar needs to be selectively aggressive early in counts.  Be aware that certain pitchers are going to throw a middle fastball to get ahead in the count w/ the first pitch.  This is because Gunnar takes so many first pitches.  Adley has this problem too.  Yes I realize this helps their OBP, but sometimes a hit is needed, not a walk.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mullins, Santandar and Frazier got off the slow starts in April. They are all on heaters now. But the point is when they couldn't buy a hit you didn't see them sulking, acting like a victim and complaining. This is baseball. Kiermaier is doing his job. Nobody is going to feel sorry for Gunnar and nobody has the time for a whiner in MLB baseball. He's playing with grown men. If you're going to play with men, then act like a man. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcgUDoV_M

• Downvote 1