Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have that backwards.  He’s been on the team since opening day, so he’ll get a full year of service time regardless.  But if he wins RoY, we get a draft pick. 

Should he win ROY, where would the pick fall in the draft?

Edited by casadeozo

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have that backwards.  He’s been on the team since opening day, so he’ll get a full year of service time regardless.  But if he wins RoY, we get a draft pick. 

If he finishes ‘outside of the top two’ he earns a full year of service time? You sure?

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/mlb_rule_changes_for_2022_and_beyond/s1__37302438#slide_7

“If a rookie finishes first or second in the Rookie of the Year voting, he'll be credited with a full year of service time. For example, if Baltimore thinks Adley Rutschman is going to be legitimately in the Rookie of the Year conversation, it makes absolutely no sense to have him play the first few weeks in the minor leagues.” 

31 minutes ago, banks703 said:

If he finishes ‘outside of the top two’ he earns a full year of service time? You sure?

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/mlb_rule_changes_for_2022_and_beyond/s1__37302438#slide_7

“If a rookie finishes first or second in the Rookie of the Year voting, he'll be credited with a full year of service time. For example, if Baltimore thinks Adley Rutschman is going to be legitimately in the Rookie of the Year conversation, it makes absolutely no sense to have him play the first few weeks in the minor leagues.” 

It means that if they finish in the top two and didn't naturally accrue a full year of time by being in the majors all year, they will be credited as if they played a full year for their free agency timeline purposes. That's what happened to Adley. 

For someone like Gunnar who presumably will be in the majors all year, he'll have the full year credited anyway so his ROY placement will have no impact on service time. 

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It means that if they finish in the top two and didn't naturally accrue a full year of time by being in the majors all year, they will be credited as if they played a full year for their free agency timeline purposes. That's what happened to Adley. 

For someone like Gunnar who presumably will be in the majors all year, he'll have the full year credited anyway so his ROY placement will have no impact on service time. 

I realize that if the player is on the roster and they finish in the top 3 for either ROY, MVP or CY, the team is awarded a pick (a supplemental after the first round in the amateur draft for the player winning the award and an international pick for finishing second or third). 

I guess I misunderstood. I thought that  the player was awarded a year of service time for winning the award (in addition to whatever time they accrued during the season). So as I understood it, Gunnar being on the OD roster would earn him two years of service time should he win the award. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

39 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I realize that if the player is on the roster and they finish in the top 3 for either ROY, MVP or CY, the team is awarded a pick (a supplemental after the first round in the amateur draft for the player winning the award and an international pick for finishing second or third). 

I guess I misunderstood. I thought that  the player was awarded a year of service time for winning the award (in addition to whatever time they accrued during the season). So as I understood it, Gunnar being on the OD roster would earn him two years of service time should he win the award. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

It's supposed to be a carrot and stick approach to discourage teams from blatantly gaming the system by keeping a top prospect down for a couple of weeks at the start of the year in order to push his clock back. The carrot being the draft pick that you can only get if a top rookie breaks camp on the OD roster, and the stick being that top rookie getting credit for the full year regardless of when he was called up. 

It was a problem that needed solving, but this approach creates its own weird dynamics, where the O's get punished for Adley not making the OD roster due to injury, and some promotions getting delayed until far enough into the year that they hope the player won't have time to catch up to other ROY contenders. They could stand to tweak it a bit. 

Edited by deward
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Thanks for clarifying. 

Ah, yeah,  not an extra year, just a full year credit instead of whatever partial year you had. I bet if a great rookie season cost two years of service time it would be too punishing to the teams and actually push callup times in the opposite direction than the rule intends. We'd see a lot of delayed July/August callups where it's too late for ROY consideration but too early to retain rookie eligibility the next year. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, casadeozo said:

Should he win ROY, where would the pick fall in the draft?

I believe it will be directly after the 1st round and before the Comp A round. The Mariners were awarded the #29 pick in this year’s draft because Julio Rodriguez won the ROY last season. 

The extra pick would just help our draft pool, and would help mitigate the fact that we’ll hopefully be picking at the end of the first rd for a long time. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Gunnar is our best player. Convince me I’m wrong. 

He is hitting .200/.343/.200/.543 with 0 extra base hits on the season vs lefties.   Your best player should not be a guy that needs to platoon.  Now that doesn’t mean he won’t be by end of year but he hasn’t hit lefties in the minors or so far in the majors until he does that you shouldn’t be considered teams best player.    He actually would be nice platoon with Mateo who is hitting over .300  and Ops in the mid .700s vs lefties.

They look a little more loose to me right now which is obviously great but given that it’s right after a tough stretch and a terrible start to that series, makes it all the more better. 

Losing isn’t fun of course and they didn’t look like they were having fun. I’m not naive to think that they don’t have their work cut out for them in Minnesota this weekend but Wednesday and Thursday just felt different. 

Gunnar looks like a kid who demands/expects a lot from himself but plays better when he’s having fun. Surrounding him with his buddies (who, by the way are also pretty good at baseball) looks to have had a positive impact the last few games. I really think we’ve been watching the ‘shift’ to the youth of the organization. 

Edited by banks703

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

He is hitting .200/.343/.200/.543 with 0 extra base hits on the season vs lefties.   Your best player should not be a guy that needs to platoon.  Now that doesn’t mean he won’t be by end of year but he hasn’t hit lefties in the minors or so far in the majors until he does that you shouldn’t be considered teams best player.    He actually would be nice platoon with Mateo who is hitting over .300  and Ops in the mid .700s vs lefties.

Would you still say Rutschman then?  He's OPSing 782 vs RHP and 837 vs LHP.

BWAR is pretty even right now: 2.2 for Adley, 2.2 for Gunnar, 2.1 for Hays, 1.7 for Santander, 1.6 for Mullins... and btw 2.1 for Wells, 2.1 for Cano, 1.9 for Bradish and 1.9 for Bautista.

FWAR has Rutschman ahead 2.1 to 1.9 for Henderson, Hays and Bautista.  Mullins has 1.6 and Santander, Bradish and Gibson (?) have 1.5

• Upvote 1