Glad to see Spenser Watkins called up

backdoorslider

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Well, so long as you admit they were both gifted a roster spot.  LOL.

I have no desire for a semantic debate.

Gifted or not, it should be noted Irvin pitched well in ST, and his issues did not crop up until the regular season.

Again, I don't care that he pitched well in ST.  Unfortunately baseball reference has done away with the spring training stats and the rating system they used to determine the quality of opponents players were facing.  If Cole Irvin was facing bonafide major leaguers in Spring Training, fine.  If he was facing guys who were about to get demoted the next day, I would say his ST stats and performance are pretty irrelevant.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Again, I don't care that he pitched well in ST.  Unfortunately baseball reference has done away with the spring training stats and the rating system they used to determine the quality of opponents players were facing.  If Cole Irvin was facing bonafide major leaguers in Spring Training, fine.  If he was facing guys who were about to get demoted the next day, I would say his ST stats and performance are pretty irrelevant.

Ok.  He would have been in the rotation even if he had performed worse in ST.  Sure.

He was aquired to be in the starting rotation based on his body of work.  If you want to call that a "gift" you are free to do so.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar may be 7-37, but he still has 10 BB. He needs to realize he’s getting pitched around like Adley. Just take the walks. They are giving Adley the Bonds treatment. 

They are not giving Adley the Bonds treatment.

Bonds had five seasons with more than 40 IBB.

Adley is just being given proper respect.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Ok.  He would have been in the rotation even if he had performed worse in ST.  Sure.

He was aquired to be in the starting rotation based on his body of work.  If you want to call that a "gift" you are free to do so.

Watch the video I just posted.  Go back and read the articles that were written around the time he was acquired.  He was acquired to be a rotation piece.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Watch the video I just posted.  Go back and read the articles that were written around the time he was acquired.  He was acquired to be a rotation piece.  

I know.  That's why they traded for him.

We all knew that.  Except for wildcard.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, backdoorslider said:

I am Spenser Watkins fan. This is a guy who clearly does not have MLB caliber stuff. He doesnt belong in the majors. But he is a crafty guy. He knows how to pitch and hit his spots. He understands pitching.

What I like about Watkins is I feel like he can usually give us a chance to actually win the game. He is usually good for about 5 or 6 innings and 3 runs. Hes a guy who should be a 5th starter, but we need him now.

Everybody except Gibby is getting SHELLED. We got to stop getting shelled.

I think most would have said that Jamie Moyer was a guy without MLB stuff. Yet he managed to hang around an was quite effective being crafty.

When I was in Iraq I knew a guy who was the M60 Gunner. FYI the machine gunners are the most badass guys in the entire Army. Most are about 6'3" 200 pounds of absolute steel. Anyways, there was a dude about 5'8" 150 pounds soaking wet. Nobody thought he would hold up with the M60. But he had the heart of a lion. Huge heart inside him. That is Spenser Watkins. Heart for days. He is a clubhouse glue guy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

Watkins to me is like Kremer, with worse stuff but better command. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

I just can't see Watkins ever developing into a very effective pitcher with his career SO9 of 5.5 and a WHIP of 1.513. Watkins made improvements last year, but I seem him as an AAAA type.

With the struggles of the pitching staff Watkins has an opportunity let's see if he can capitalize.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I don't think Watkins will be more than a spot starter, and at age 30 he's past his physical prime. But I have a lot of respect the work he's put in to improve himself since he first showed up, adding a sweeper that is now his best pitch, and adding a little velocity to his FB at an age where that doesn't happen much. Easy guy to root for.

Watkins is the RHP version of Cole Irvin. Velo on various pitches, EV against, career batter ball profiles against... all are pretty close.  K% and BB% career edge goes to Irvin.  

Irvin had some bad luck in Boston (a couple of high EVs and a bunch of junk hits mixed in too).  His K% and BB% has jumped meaningfully in 2023.  K% is in the 41% percentile.  Likely trying to get that little bit extra is causing some control issues.  To state the obvious, if he gets his BB% back to career norms (or even down to the higher Watkins' career norms) then his average stuff plays up. 

Happy for Watkins the person though!