Top 100 Prospect tracker on MLB.com

bluedog

If this hasn't already been posted here, MLB.com now has a cool page for tracking Top 100 prospects performance across all leagues:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats/top-prospects

Quick scan says Jackson Holliday is putting himself in good position to climb up the rankings given his performance, age & position so far relative to other top prospects.

I'm hoping for three straight years with a different prospect in the #1 slot. :)

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Quick scan says Jackson Holliday is putting himself in good position to climb up the rankings given his performance, age & position so far relative to other top prospects.

I'd like to believe that Kjerstad will also see a climb to the top of the rankings, but in reality he'll probably be promoted to the Orioles before that happens. 

On the flip side it looks like the Yankees' overrated prospects have all started the season by crapping the bed. You think they might be having second thoughts about naming Volpe (.158/ .256/ .237) their starting SS out of Spring Training? It's one thing to have the sports media hype your prospects above and beyond their actual performance, and quite another to believe that hype and act as if it's true. 

56 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I'd like to believe that Kjerstad will also see a climb to the top of the rankings, but in reality he'll probably be promoted to the Orioles before that happens. 

On the flip side it looks like the Yankees' overrated prospects have all started the season by crapping the bed. You think they might be having second thoughts about naming Volpe (.158/ .256/ .237) their starting SS out of Spring Training? It's one thing to have the sports media hype your prospects above and beyond their actual performance, and quite another to believe that hype and act as if it's true. 

I don't know about Kjerstad getting promoted any time soon. Feels like Elias is happy with rotating every infielder the O's have that's not starting into outfield spots, defense be damned. I'd love to see Heston make the AA > Majors jump, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd feel better about gloating over the Yankees prospect woes if Gunnar was performing. :P

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I'd wait a bit longer to dance on Volpe's grave.  Gunnar hasn't hit much either.  These guys need some time to adjust to major league pitching. 

• Upvote 1

As far as Gunnar goes, I know he had a month long looksie last year; but remember Adley, Witt Jr, and Julio Rodriguez didn’t hit right out the shoot either. It takes time when making the jump to the bigs for most guys, even the Uber talented ones.

I think Gunnar will be fine as he gains more and more experience in terms of how teams pitch him and how his talent plays. 

I think that the same applies for Volpe too. It just takes a little time for most guys to adjust. However, I wonder slightly if the Yanks may have gotten a little caught up in Volpe being Jeter 2.0? That may have biased their opinion of him a little because his swing from what I say looks a little long. He’s going to have to shorten that stroke to be successful in the bigs.

Alvarez from the Mets is another top guys who struggled in Spring Training and people started to question. I know a lot of people get worried because they see Torkelson from the Tigers and think “I don’t want that to be our guy”. But he’s only 23 as well. Again, I think these guys (at least most of them) just need time to adjust.

Not worried about Gunnar simply because even if the hits aren't falling in he's still seeing a lot of pitches and walking a lot. Sooner or later the hits will come. As for Volpe, he hasn't taken a lot of BBs so far and he's just getting killed by RH pitchers. SSS and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get sent back to AAA for a reset. 

I don't know about Kjerstad getting promoted any time soon. Feels like Elias is happy with rotating every infielder the O's have that's not starting into outfield spots, defense be damned. I'd love to see Heston make the AA > Majors jump, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think Kjerstad will make the jump from AA to MLB, but given his age I can see Elias putting him on the fast track if he continues to produce at the plate. 6-8 weeks at AA, then a similar period of time at AAA, and then a call up to the show after we (hopefully) unload some bodies at the trade deadline. Again, contingent on his production earning him a spot on the Orioles' roster. 

• bluedog changed the title to Top 100 Prospect tracker on MLB.com

Norby moved onto the list at 97 with graduations of higher ranked prospects.  mlbpipeline top 100

That gives us 8 in the top 100 even with Gunnar graduating.  They'll basically just slot guys up until they re-adjust after the draft.  Hopefully, Grayson will no longer have prospect status then, but guys like Mayo and Bassallo could move up.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Norby moved onto the list at 97 with graduations of higher ranked prospects.  mlbpipeline top 100

That gives us 8 in the top 100 even with Gunnar graduating.  They'll basically just slot guys up until they re-adjust after the draft.  Hopefully, Grayson will no longer have prospect status then, but guys like Mayo and Bassallo could move up.  

Good catch.

Looks like 3 of the guys ahead of Holliday will be graduated by mid-season as well. He may have a legit shot at #1.

12 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Good catch.

Looks like 3 of the guys ahead of Holliday will be graduated by mid-season as well. He may have a legit shot at #1.

I don’t think he will jump Lawlar mid season but maybe by the end of the year. 

Little known fact but we could have had Lawlar in our organization.

Edited by Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he will jump Lawlar mid season but maybe by the end of the year. 

Little known fact but we could have had Lawlar in our organization.

We also could have had Druw instead of Holliday. Funny how both got snagged by AZ.