Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't go that far.

The truth is that massaging egos and keeping players mentally ready to play is part of Hyde's job.

Yes I think that Managers shouldn't structure their bullpen use around the Save stat but demoting a Closer can have an impact.

Who said anything about a demotion? Are you trying to start something??? What if Bautista reads posts at OH? Felix is my guy!

Edited by Il BuonO

3 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

I think Felix essentially has the yips. He has been out of whack for his last three or four appearances. They appear like a virus. He looked particularly uncomfortable last night. 

It would be nice to give him a couple days to work things out. 

I think that given his long history of having issues with his command and control he's got himself a bit out of whack.

I'm sure that to some degree something like that feeds on itself but I don't think we are in a position to assume the issue is mental.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

And Baumann looked capable of getting more than the two outs he was asked for. 

It was noted multiple teams during the broadcast that Hyde knew he only had Bauman for a couple outs as he was still recovering from the 2 2/3 just two days prior. People keep jumping on Hyde for it but it was obvious, if you were actually listening, that he was using him just to finish the fifth, even before he came into the game. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

It was noted multiple teams during the broadcast that Hyde knew he only had Bauman for a couple outs as he was still recovering from the 2 2/3 just two days prior. People keep jumping on Hyde for it but it was obvious, if you were actually listening, that he was using him just to finish the fifth, even before he came into the game. 

Ah, I was listening to the Tigers broadcast. That makes sense. Love Hyde!

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Ahh.  Okay, I had it muted because I have a lot of chaos going on in my house with 3 small children haha.  That makes more sense then. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Thank goodness for our old buddie Jonathan Schoop

His bases loaded no out double play early in the game, and his K in the 9th on a 3-2 pitch that was way out of the zone made him our MVP yesterday.

It was a 2-2 count.  But we all know Schoop doesn't go up to the plate to walk.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's weird that they rode Akin so hard last year but seem hesitant to let him rip this year. He looks good! Let him pitch a couple innings! 

It's interesting, he seems to be used almost as a LOOGY now. He does have terrible splits vs RHB. I think they are not going to trust him in high leverage except vs LHB. Last year he pitched longer outings but my impression was generally lower leverage, behind Tate/Baker/Perez. I think they have figured out he can be trusted, but only vs LHB.