Sunday, April 23: Orioles try to sweep Tigers out of Baltimore

SteveA

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Bautista hasn't looked in 3 appearances. He's no slam dunk to get out of this.

Agreed, but with a runner on third and less than two outs, you want a strike out.  Bautista has a better chance of getting that than Voth.  Instead, it's a sac fly and a 1-0 game. 

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd bring Bautista in here... the game is won and lost right here, not in some potential later inning where we have a lead. 

Definitely wouldn't have brought in Bautista in the 8th inning of a regular season game against DET in April. But anything would be better than Voth.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Definitely wouldn't have brought in Bautista in the 8th inning of a regular season game against DET in April. But anything would be better than Voth.

Why... Bring him in with runners on so you can get a strike out or two.  What difference does it make that it is April 24? 

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

Feels like it, doesn't it? Baumann had such an easy inning, I still don't get why he didn't let him go 2. If the strategy is to keep the score 0-0 by the time Rodriguez leaves the game, you're going to need to have someone in the bullpen for extra innings.

I also question pulling Baker just to get a lefty-on-lefty matchup against mediocre Greene, who actually has hit better during his career vs. LHP (.726 OPS) than against RHP (.660). Baumann for two innings cd have given us Baker in the 8th. And as I type this the Tigers break thru against Perez instead....

• Upvote 1

Just now, emmett16 said:

McKenna could not have possibly played that worsens. He is complete garbage.  It is infuriating that he is still on this team.  He has no place in this organization anywhere

He's a "gamer" or "Gritty player" or some other cliche used for bad Major League players.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Why... Bring him in with runners on so you can get a strike out or two.  What difference does it make that it is April 24? 

Because it's too early in the season to use your closer like that unless you want him to be gassed come September. Up to you though.

Just now, Beysbol said:

Is there a reason McKenna is playing so much this season? I mean, he's not really good. Is there any injury or something?

This is his 5th start of the year.   All vs lefty pitchers.

We've faced 8 lefties.   So he's started a little over half the time vs LHP, and none vs RHP.