Cionel Perez

BRobinsonfan

He was great last year, but how much rope does he get? He's given up 18 hits in 8.2 innings and walked another 5.  His last 5 1/3rd innings he's given up 14 hits so he seems to be getting worse, not better.  I know he's doing better against left handers but over-all hitters are averaging .439 against him and he has a WHIP of 2.65.  I just don't have any confidence in him right now.   

He's a total mess right now. The good news is he has options.

At some point soon I hope we send him down and call up another lefty to get a shot. 

But it is definitely a spot (left reliever for high leverage situations) that needs improvement through acquisition when we get to the pennant stretch.

13 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

It’s there confirmation somewhere? I keep hearing no options. Now others are saying he does. I’m confused.

It looks to me like he should have an option left.  He was first called up in 2018, and spent the rest of that year in the majors, so no option was used.  He was sent down in 2019, not in 2020, yes in 2021, not in 2022 when he was DFA.   So it seems he has an option unless I’m missing something.  
Edit: I’m wrong.  He did get sent back down in 2018 after being called up, so his three options have been used.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It looks to me like he should have an option left.  He was first called up in 2018, and spent the rest of that year in the majors, so no option was used.  He was sent down in 2019, not in 2020, yes in 2021, not in 2022 when he was DFA.   So it seems he has an option unless I’m missing something.  

That good news, I would send him down for Tate/Givens. Let him figure out at Norfolk, regain that magic. 

These two articles also mention he was out of options, at least as of before the 2022 season:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/orioles-claim-cionel-perez-waivers-reds.html

https://theathletic.com/3642537/2022/09/30/orioles-cionel-perez-rocky-road-to-success/

It looks like he got optioned in his 2018 year. He was up and down that year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He gets a lot of rope because of what he did last year.  But, he hasn’t looked the same the last few weeks, and he’s not the first choice in a high leverage situation right now.  Hopefully he’ll get his act together.  

Yeah, I get that... and I realize he's only thrown 8 innings... so there's still plenty of time to right the ship.  But they were pretty quick to send Cole Irwin down.  I hope he get's things figured out before I have a heart attack.  🤣

Perez has no options remaining. If they try to send him to Norfolk, they would have to DFA and hope he clears waivers.

He looked really good in spring training, and he was our 2nd most reliable reliever last season (behind Tate), so I think he can correct whatever has been giving him trouble in recent outings. The team is in a conundrum about whether they want that to happen in Norfolk and risk losing him on waivers, or if they begrudgingly hold that roster spot for him while he works out the kinks and send someone else down to make room instead.

As things stand, 2 pitchers are going to have to be sent to Norfolk when Tate and Givens have completed their Rehab assignments. And I bet you there is some GM in MLB out there right now stalking the Orioles like a hawk, just waiting for one of these guys to go on waivers so they can poach them from the Orioles. The Orioles will have to play this smart and be unpredictable with their timing.

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Perez has no options remaining. If they try to send him to Norfolk, they would have to DFA and hope he clears waivers.

He looked really good in spring training, and he was our 2nd most reliable reliever last season (behind Tate), so I think he can correct whatever has been giving him trouble in recent outings. The team is in a conundrum about whether they want that to happen in Norfolk and risk losing him on waivers, or if they begrudgingly hold that roster spot for him while he works out the kinks and send someone else down to make room instead.

As things stand, 2 pitchers are going to have to be sent to Norfolk when Tate and Givens have completed their Rehab assignments. And I bet you there is some GM in MLB out there right now stalking the Orioles like a hawk, just waiting for one of these guys to go on waivers so they can poach them from the Orioles. The Orioles will have to play this smart and be unpredictable with their timing.

Two pitchers are going to have to be sent to Norfolk?  Does one of them rhyme with Both?

14 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

He was great last year, but how much rope does he get? He's given up 18 hits in 8.2 innings and walked another 5.  His last 5 1/3rd innings he's given up 14 hits so he seems to be getting worse, not better.  I know he's doing better against left handers but over-all hitters are averaging .439 against him and he has a WHIP of 2.65.  I just don't have any confidence in him right now.   

No way the O's give up on him.  He should probably be pitched in low leverage situations though until he figures things out.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

These two articles also mention he was out of options, at least as of before the 2022 season:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/orioles-claim-cionel-perez-waivers-reds.html

https://theathletic.com/3642537/2022/09/30/orioles-cionel-perez-rocky-road-to-success/

It looks like he got optioned in his 2018 year. He was up and down that year.

You are right.  I looked at his game log yesterday but misread it.  They did use an option in 2018, 2019 and 2021, so he’s out of options.   My apologies.  I’ll go back and edit my earlier post.