Using only players in the organization…

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, geschinger said:

It might be unpopular with his hot start but why not see if there is any potential to sell high and get value by flipping Mateo to a team like the Dodgers with a lot of arms and a desperate need at SS.  When it's all said and done I don't think there would be much (if any) decline in overall productivity for the remainder of 2023 if the Orioles constructed an IF among Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz, etc...

Part of my thought process on getting Ortiz up and regular at bats at 2B sooner than later is to evaluate him before the deadline.  If he looks like he is ready to hit MLB pitching and the right offer comes in for Mateo you certainly have to consider it.

44 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Who goes to get Ortiz, Westburg and Stowers up? I said I like Ortiz for Vavra now and I would like to see Westburg but that seems like it will be tough to do without trading Urias.  I know there is a lot of love for Stowers around here but the best thing for him is to get traded as part of a deadline package.  Hyde and Elias clearly don't favor him if Vavra was getting starts over him.  I wouldn't be surprised if Cowser has surpassed him at this point.

Basically, my OF would be some kind of rotation between Stowers/Cowser, Mullins and Hays.

No one would play everyday although Gunnar is the one guy who likely ends up doing it the most.

Vavra would certainly be gone. McKenna sent down for now because Santander and I guess Frazier can play the OF if needed. OHearn down as well.

Frazier doesn’t play outside of a spot start here or there.

If you can trade one of Mateo, Urias or Santander, both OFers can come up.  That would be best imo.  

Basic thought is that you can play the kids and the vets enough to keep everyone fresh but getting plenty of playing time.

None of this bs McCann doing anything but catch.  Adley less DH days and more actual days off to not run him down.

Santander spends some time at first to spell Mountcastle.

This is more or less what I would have done heading into the season, although I would have wanted at least one of Mateo, hays, Santander or Urias traded and obviously never sign Frazier.

Edited by Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Basically, my OF would be some kind of rotation between Stowers/Cowser, Mullins and Hays.

No one would play everyday although Gunnar is the one guy who likely ends up doing it the most.

Vavra would certainly be gone. McKenna sent down for now because Santander and I guess Frazier can play the OF if needed. OHearn down as well.

Frazier doesn’t play outside of a spot start here or there.

If you can trade one of Mateo, Urias or Santander, both OFers can come up.  That would be best imo.  

Basic thought is that you can play the kids and the vets enough to keep everyone fresh but getting plenty of playing time.

None of this bs McCann doing anything but catch.  Adley less DH days and more actual days off to not run him down.

Santander spends some time at first to spell Mountcastle.

This is more or less what I would have done heading into the season, although I would have wanted at least one of Mateo, hays, Santander or Urias traded and obviously never sign Frazier.

Yea, I have no interest in turning this into another "why did we signed Frazier" thread.  I have no issues with sending Ohearn and Mckenna down for Westburg and Cowser or Stowers as long as they are comfortable with Santander or someone else backing up First base.  Would need to move someone to make room for Cowser and Stowers though I think.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, I have no interest in turning this into another "why did we signed Frazier" thread.  I have no issues with sending Ohearn and Mckenna down for Westburg and Cowser or Stowers as long as they are comfortable with Santander or someone else backing up First base.  Would need to move someone to make room for Cowser and Stowers though I think.

Yea I think it would be tough to bring both up and give them the proper at bats they need because you have to give every one else at bats too.

But you could get Westburg, Ortiz and one of the OFers enough at bats to justify bringing them up.

I mean, this org is pushing for versatility and all that..great.use it and get your best players on the field.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think it would be tough to bring both up and give them the proper at bats they need because you have to give every one else at bats too.

But you could get Westburg, Ortiz and one of the OFers enough at bats to justify bringing them up.

I mean, this org is pushing for versatility and all that..great.use it and get your best players on the field.

I don't know if it is a service clock game but I can't think of a reason to not have Ortiz up starting at 2B every night right now.  Would love to see his bat in the lineup over Frazier.

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

The front office would give you 8 million reasons.

I recognize that Frazier is not going to be released with the Contract he signed this offseason.  However sending Vavra down and Frazier into more of the Vavra role doesn't seem far fetched.

• Upvote 2

Some of you guys are suggesting immediately sticking up to four more rookies on the roster. They are not going to do that because you could end up with a bunch of Gunnar's all at once. I think they will transition one or two rookies onto the roster the first part of the season (like Gunnar and Grayson now) and then one or two more rookies in the second half of the season or close to the second half (Hall and someone like Ortiz or Westburg). I don't think they are going to deploy them all at once and if you want to compete this season then that's probably a good strategy. I think it's important to be able to give the real prospects time to struggle as rookies. If four or so are struggling at once, then that would not be sustainable. 

• Upvote 4

I’d do nothing right now.  First of all, the team is winning and I don’t want to mess with that.  Second, I think for good reasons, teams usually wait about 6 weeks to let initial hot and cold streaks settle out and get a decent sample to judge on, except in cases of injury or really extreme bad play by a marginal player.   I personally agree with that, because you don’t want players looking over their shoulders every time they have a bad week or two.  

While I know almost everyone (me included) questioned the Frazier signing, I don’t think the O’s would even dream of just DFAing him.   So, I don’t see him being replaced even when mid-May rolls around.  I’m still holding out hope that the O’s will swing some kind of trade at some point involving an infielder.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

SP - Gibson
SP - Kremer
SP - Bradish
SP - Wells
SP - Rodriguez

RP - Voth
RP - Akin
RP - Baumann
RP - Baker
RP - Coulombe
RP - Cano
RP - Hall
RP - Bautista

IF - Mountcastle
IF - Frazier
IF - Mateo
IF - Urias

DH - Santander

OF - Hays
OF - Mullins
OF - Cowser

C - Adley
C - McCann

IF - Ortiz
UTL - Vavra
OF - Stowers

You are doing a great job. Guess you forgot about a guy named Henderson

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think we have seen enough of Vavra to see that he isn't going to bring anything special to the roster he is just a utility guy.  I think Frazier can slide into and be an upgrade to his role getting more playing time in the COF.  Ortiz is already on the 40 man roster lets bring him up and give him everyday at bats mostly at 2B.  I think Ortiz upgrades our offense and defense immediately.

Voth can be sent down when Tate or Givens gets healthy.  Perez probably goes down too when they are both are ready.

Voth and Perez? Neither can be sent down

5 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

SP - Gibson
SP - Kremer
SP - Bradish
SP - Wells
SP - Rodriguez

RP - Voth
RP - Akin
RP - Baumann
RP - Baker
RP - Coulombe
RP - Cano
RP - Hall
RP - Bautista

IF - Mountcastle
IF - Frazier
IF - Mateo
IF - Urias

DH - Santander

OF - Hays
OF - Mullins
OF - Cowser

C - Adley
C - McCann

IF - Ortiz
UTL - Vavra
OF - Stowers

I have to ask, what did you do with Gunnar Henderson??

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I have to ask, what did you do with Gunnar Henderson??

He would be batting leadoff at Norfolk, getting 4 or 5 PA's per game, figuring out how to hit again.

Once he does, he would come back up for Vavra.

Edited by DirtyBird