Tuesday, April 25th: vs. Red Sox

ArtVanDelay

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Look, these nights happen with pitchers. But a good manager has to know when to get him out before it blows up completely. 

I would have had Voth up and ready if Bradish put two guys on the next inning. But to let him load the bases on three hard hits and then let him pitch to another guy with no one up is ridiculous. 

Just a poor feel. 

And why waste Baumann here? Why not turn it over to Voth and let him extend? Instead Hyde wants to use one of his better relievers down 7-0 in the 3rd inning.

I agree with you on Voth.  I don’t have as much of an issue with leaving Bradish in and letting him try to figure it out.  They were hitting a ton of balls in holes.  There was some hope that maybe he would get a bit lucky.  There are psychological reasons to not pull guys sometimes.  In favor of your argument, if he was fatigued getting him out of there might have helped for the next start.  Now he is even more likely to be fatigued. 

Just now, baltfan said:

I agree with you on Voth.  I don’t have as much of an issue with leaving Bradish in and letting him try to figure it out.  They were hitting a ton of balls in holes.  There was some hope that maybe he would get a bit lucky.  There are psychological reasons to not pull guys sometimes.  In favor of your argument, if he was fatigued getting him out of there might have helped for the next start.  Now he is even more likely to be fatigued. 

I didn't have an issue with him starting the 3rd, but after a 40-pitch inning, I'd have a very quick hook on him. I get it that they really wanted to see if Bradish could work through it, but he really had nothing tonight and everything was hit very hard.  

Obviously a tough night and we all know Voth is not good coming in mid-inning, so he very well could have given up the grand slam himself, but maybe you do use Baumann to get through the 3rd BEFORE he gives up the slam. See if Baumann can give you two then go to Voth to try and get through the rest of the game.