Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

It’s a 162 game season. 

Regardless of their payroll and what they didn’t do this off-season they are trying to make the playoffs. 

The goal should not be to maximize prospects at bats it should be to win games. Now, if evidence shows that not bringing players up or not playing them at much causes harm then that has to be weighed. 

Orioles have played 27 games. Over reacting to any one players hot or slow start is the last thing Elias should do.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It’s a 162 game season. 

Regardless of their payroll and what they didn’t do this off-season they are trying to make the playoffs. 

The goal should not be to maximize prospects at bats it should be to win games. Now, if evidence shows that not bringing players up or not playing them at much causes harm then that has to be weighed. 

Orioles have played 27 games. Over reacting to any one players hot or slow start is the last thing Elias should do.  

How about a career worths of starts?  Or larger sample sizes of 900ish at bats?

We should have traded Santander in the offseason, which is what I was clamoring for. He's not in the future plans and is just taking up a spot at this point. I know this is more of a infield problem, but the roster crunch really effects both. If we didn't have Santander clogging up a spot with no defensive value, you can get extra at bats for the infielders in the corner outfield and DH (such as Frazier).

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How about a career worths of starts?  Or larger sample sizes of 900ish at bats?

Who? Frazier?

Elias has not dealt any prospects away unless you consider Hernaiz to fit the description. All of these players are still here. I have no idea what the roster will look like on August 1.

How many people wanted to deal Mateo,  Urias, Hays etc in the off-season? Santander as well. When a player is at AAA they are still an asset. You can debate how that asset is being deployed but it is still there. Trades are permanent. 

Depth was the big theme going into the year. Well, here we are. Gunnar when he sits is vs LHP and when he does start vs LHP he hits lower in the order. Same with Mullins. They can’t play 30 guys with a 26 man roster. 

8 minutes ago, G54377 said:

We should have traded Santander in the offseason, which is what I was clamoring for. He's not in the future plans and is just taking up a spot at this point. I know this is more of a infield problem, but the roster crunch really effects both. If we didn't have Santander clogging up a spot with no defensive value, you can get extra at bats for the infielders in the corner outfield and DH (such as Frazier).

Or just not signed Frazier

8 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Who are you getting for him? Why deal him to deal him? 

Is he done in terms of having a down year because 27 games in he hasn’t hit great? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Who? Frazier?

Elias has not dealt any prospects away unless you consider Hernaiz to fit the description. All of these players are still here. I have no idea what the roster will look like on August 1.

How many people wanted to deal Mateo,  Urias, Hays etc in the off-season? Santander as well. When a player is at AAA they are still an asset. You can debate how that asset is being deployed but it is still there. Trades are permanent. 

Depth was the big theme going into the year. Well, here we are. Gunnar when he sits is vs LHP and when he does start vs LHP he hits lower in the order. Same with Mullins. They can’t play 30 guys with a 26 man roster. 

Frazier, Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, etc..outside of Frazier, these are good players who deserve to be here but none of them have proven, over the course of their careers, that they should be 500+ at bat guys.  

We can have all of these guys play.  That is what should be happening. Instead, we are giving these guys and inferior players like Vavra and OHearn these at bats. 

People say, well look at our record.  Ok but maybe we a better roster, they are 22-5 right now instead of 18-9.  We don’t know but what we do know is that none of these guys have shown that they should be given the everyday player treatment so let’s not do it. 

You say depth was a big thing..I agree. Now use it. You don’t waste it. You use it . Right now, it’s being wasted and it’s being wasted for inferior talent.  Not sure why any of you are ok with that.

At first I was surprised and upset to hear about this. But then I rethought my opinion and see some logic and value in this move. 

Now, while I surely do not want our top 100 prospects being used as org depth to come up and down between the Majors and AAA, especially guys not Ortiz age. I don't see anything wrong with this for now though as Ortiz represented himself well and did nothing to hurt his value if he has to be used in a trade at the deadline.

While these moves may be puzzling and frustrating for now, there is little that Elias can do about the overcrowded positional talent UNTIL the dead line. For now we are going to have to live with the reality of the mistakes/missed opportunities of the offseason.

But the good thing about all of this is, the team has still been getting great results in the form of wins and has been able to remain in striking distance of the Rays and keep pace with the Jays. The Yanks are an older team and not built for the long season IMO. They are a team who is built to fair better in short series in the postseason, where roster depth and injuries MAY not be as much of a factor. I imagine their goal is to get to the postseason healthy with 3 ace pitchers and Judge and Stanton healthy.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Frazier, Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, etc..outside of Frazier, these are good players who deserve to be here but none of them have proven, over the course of their careers, that they should be 500+ at bat guys.  

We can have all of these guys play.  That is what should be happening. Instead, we are giving these guys and inferior players like Vavra and OHearn these at bats. 

People say, well look at our record.  Ok but maybe we a better roster, they are 22-5 right now instead of 18-9.  We don’t know but what we do know is that none of these guys have shown that they should be given the everyday player treatment so let’s not do it. 

You say depth was a big thing..I agree. Now use it. You don’t waste it. You use it . Right now, it’s being wasted and it’s being wasted for inferior talent.  Not sure why any of you are ok with that.

They aren’t wasting anything. You can’t hit 12 players a game. They have played 16.6% of the season. 

O’Hearn has hardly played the last 10 days. Vavra is at AAA. 

Hays has been one the best players on the team. We can’t say because some of the vets have played a bunch early on that their rate of play will continue like this. 

I just think things will play themselves out over the course of the year. I’m not telling you or anyone else not to debate who should and shouldn’t play. That’s the fun of being a fan. I’m just saying we haven’t played many games yet and all these options remain. 

Edited by eddie83
  • Upvote 1