Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Bringing Hall, Stowers, and Ortiz up and down as needed is fine with me, but it's also a direct contradiction to Mike's "I bring them up to stay" spiel. I hope he's still working hard to swing a prospects for SP trade.

It would be silly for any GM to adhere to any "rule" with no flexibility at all. There is always going to be a groups of guys going up and down for those last 2-3 spots.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

It would be silly for any GM to adhere to any "rule" with no flexibility at all. There is always going to be a groups of guys going up and down for those last 2-3 spots.

Which is why it was silly for posters to cling to his statements as if they were immutable law.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who’s not going to play to make room for Stowers playing 4-5 times a week?   I hope he’ll play more than last time, but he’s not playing 4-5 times a week unless someone gets hurt. 

I would start sitting Frazier more as he has not hit and OPS is .602 vs right handers.  I would like to see more of Urias, Mateo, and Henderson in the lineup on a daily basis.   I know it is early but Mountcastle splits are very telling with Ops .543 vs righties, and .916 vs left handers.   Stowers has a hot bat coming up now so they need to find a way to get that in the lineup while it is.   8 of the next 10 games are vs right handers with one of lefties being Yarbrough who is just an opener or bullpen guy.  Stowers should be in the lineup 7 of those 10 games imo.  We have faced quite a few lefty starters early in the season so he wasn’t going to play as much.  We will see how much he gets played with lot more right handers.

2 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I am loving these problems. Elias is going to have to figure out how to turn this sea of talent into a dominant MLB roster. Once Kjerstad is moved to AAA I think Norfolk will have the best minor league roster I’ve ever seen. 

The problem with these problems are many of them are self inflicted through some poor decisions and inability to be more flexible with the players you have, despite pushing the idea of flexibility with the players.

• Upvote 1

I like the daily roster maximization.     I think most of us appreciate Elias as a representative of management giving talking points that sound plausible is just doing his job.

The best 26 players to win today fluctuate often, if you care about winning today.

If you don't, you purposely deploy reps to players outside the best 30, or best 50, or best 100, or ask Jorge Lopez to be a starting pitcher.

Some of what 2023 will reveal is if Elias is a strong tight poker player, and now he's getting his money into the pot.    More than these follow up moves in that spirit, the quick Cole Irvin hook is for me the transaction of the month.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who’s not going to play to make room for Stowers playing 4-5 times a week?   I hope he’ll play more than last time, but he’s not playing 4-5 times a week unless someone gets hurt. 

Santander and Mountcastle have been pretty bad. I don’t know why they need to play every day. He could definitely play for Hays against some RHP. And the DH spot is open when Adley catches. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem with these problems are many of them are self inflicted through some poor decisions and inability to be more flexible with the players you have, despite pushing the idea of flexibility with the players.

Agree. I think Elias had done a phenomenal job for us. I don’t know how anyone could even try to make a counter argument….they’d look ridiculous trying. That said, his offseason was an absolute failure. While I take a weird pride knowing that our AAA team is better than some MLB teams, the goal is to win the World Series. He needs to package some of the deep talent for upgrades. That weird pride about Norfolk is going to turn quickly into aggravation. 

• Upvote 1

IMO, a team should use its 4A players (Vavra, O'Hearn, etc) to ride the shuttle back and forth between AAA and the majors, act as insurance, come up for short stints to fill a short term hole, sit on the bench/start occasionally.  For top hitting prospects, they should be getting consistent at bats whether in AAA or majors.  Everyone knows hitting is about timing and rhythm...you can't get that through sporadic at bats.  As for starting pitching prospects, they need to be on a regular starting schedule...especially for young guys....having them on the Norfolk shuttle and alternating between starting and relieving just slows down the development process IMO.  It's not a zero sum game; you can properly develop prospects while still trying to win right now.  

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The mishandling of the ML roster continues to be the biggest issue in the Elias era.

If he brought Ortiz just up to face the lefties and now Stowers is up for the upcoming pitchers, isn’t that what we want?   Wouldn’t we prefer Stowers playing and Ortiz not sitting the bench?   Of course, that might not be the plan here but I hope that it is. For the record, I liked Ortiz’s at-bats no would like to see more. 

28 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I am loving these problems. Elias is going to have to figure out how to turn this sea of talent into a dominant MLB roster. Once Kjerstad is moved to AAA I think Norfolk will have the best minor league roster I’ve ever seen. 

Maybe position player. The pitching isn’t that much to look at.