Rosenthal says Roberts wants 4 years to stay

McNulty

OK, he's saying that Robbie Alomar had 3 great years after he left, then fell off a cliff. Then he says MAYBE he could be productive longer than that.

And maybe Huff will continue to hit like he did in 2008 until he's 40...Maybe Mora will buck the trend and be productive until he's 45..Does that mean we should extend him 3 years instead of 1 after this year if we were still interested in him, if Snyder or Rowell don't show they can step up at 3B?

If you point to Alomar as an example, and he is a guy who was below average after his 33 year old season, how can you say I'm putting words in his mouth when I point to BROB potentialy being below average after the next 3 years?

It is certainly possible that he is in great shape and was a late bloomer that he keeps this up until age 35 or 36 but it's certainly not probable, so why should we commit 20-24 million for 2 years to a guy who we feel is more likely than not to be below average or average at best? BROB isn't the only option at 2B for the next 5 years in MLB that would make us have to do that.

Don't give me the off the field stuff either. It is extremly great for the community and people of Baltimore but it is BS when you consider trying to build a successful team on the field which is what AM needs to be concerned with right now.

How did the Gibbons and Mora extensions work out when we wanted to reward guys for being good guys and faces of the franchise and go the extra mile to get a deal done? Gibbons has been getting paid for sitting at home for 2 years and we're locked into Mora because we gave a 34 year old a NTC to stay as one of the faces of a team stuck in neutral.

Those aren't the kind of decisions AM should be making.

I think the Mora extension worked out well, you disagree? Mora has been worth every penny of his contract. You also said maybe Mora will buck the trend and be productive until he's 45. It seems you are upping the threshold on Mora as he has already been productive during the age when a lot of people are out of baseball, so now lets make it 45 years old instead of 35.

You are making it sound as if signing Roberts until age 35 would be a huge mistake and we'd be stuck with a terrible contract. Even if you have to eat the last year on the deal and pay for below average its not a bad deal. Roberts is a talented baseball player, he'll produce for the majority of the contract that he signs. People make it seem like the O's are going to offer him 10 years.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have to look at this from Roberts' perspective. He has been underpaid the past few years based on his performance. The club has gotten the benefit of him being underpaid. So, when people say he may not be worth a four year contract at the end of the contract, he probably thinks that even if he is not it will just all even out.

Four years if that includes 2009. He can't have a no trade clause, either.

I agree with Roy though, he's earned it. He's put up with a LOT of crap while he's been here and been a model citizen throughout. A true class act all the way.

It's a damn shame he's not a few years younger and could really be a part of the Markakis/Jones/Wieters/Pie/Big 3 core that we're building. Seems that when all that talent matures he'll be a bit too old to be along for the whole ride.

You may be right but you have to admit it's not a good idea to bank on that happening if you are the O's and deciding whether to give him the deal or not.

No I don't think they should bank on it. But I believe they need to consider Roberts in the context of a sampling of higher level second baseman not in the aggregate of all of them. As I said in another post, I think he is much closer to a Bobby Grich 30 year old then he is to a Rich Dauer or Chuck knobloch thirty year old.

...all those crummy teams..all those crummy years...He has played hard, well, and has served his community. Could we get some young prospects in a trade? Sure. But probably not what we would have gotten a year ago. Brian Roberts is a very popular athlete in Baltimore. He is still the face of the franchise. He is a doubles machine and steals close to 40 bases a year. He is improving from both sides of the plate. Will he slow down? Absolutely. But this is what you do for a player who has done it day in and out for all these years. Give him four. And start thinking about other question marks on the horizon.like SS, 3b and DH.

Great Post Roy!!!:):wedge:

Wait for ODog to sign, and then compare based on that.

Similar ages. I prefer Roberts. He's more durable. Overall, I think he's the better player. I don't know if I'd do more than 4/32 or 4/36. If we start approaching 4/40, I think that's problematic. I'd prefer a 4/32 that's incentive laden.

To compare Brian to Robbie Alomar is not a solid comparison IMHO. Alomar never had the work habits of Brian...never. Alomar's game was largely based on his athleticism, Brian's is not. Alomar did not love the game, Brian definitely does. And Brian never has spit on an umpire! :D

This is a guy you keep around as long as you can reasonably do it. He sets the tone for the position players and he's a steadying influence for the younger guys...especially the young pitchers who know that when a ground ball is hit to him he'll likely make the right play and record an out. His kind of player does not come along very often.

To compare Brian to Robbie Alomar is not a solid comparison IMHO. Alomar never had the work habits of Brian...never. Alomar's game was largely based on his athleticism, Brian's is not. Alomar did not love the game, Brian definitely does. And Brian never has spit on an umpire! :D

This is a guy you keep around as long as you can reasonably do it. He sets the tone for the position players and he's a steadying influence for the younger guys...especially the young pitchers who know that when a ground ball is hit to him he'll likely make the right play and record an out. His kind of player does not come along very often.

How do you know how much each one loves the game?

Roberts has been a great player for us, but I think some people are willing to give him four years because of the player he has been with us.

We should do whats best for the team long term, and giving Roberts a four year deal, in my opinion, would be a mistake.

I have faith MacPhail will make the mistakes our front office has made in the past when our players have come to this point (Gibbons, Mora).

Robbie Alomar is a first ballot Hall of Famer. Brian, as much as I like him, will only get to visit the hall. Robbie Alomar never loved the game? Where do you get this stuff? Sheesh!!!! :rolleyes:

Archived