Rosenthal says Roberts wants 4 years to stay

McNulty

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken Rosenthal has also mentioned the interesting possibility of the Braves trading for Orioles 2B Brian Roberts, which makes some sense because he fits much the way Rafael Furcal would’ve fit — the Braves could move Kelly Johnson to left field, plug Roberts at 2B and have the proven leadoff guy they need.

And I have to believe that the Cubs will call again. They can't really be that happy with Miles/Fontenot and Soriano leading off. BRob will catapult them up in quality.

Ken Rosenthal has also mentioned the interesting possibility of the Braves trading for Orioles 2B Brian Roberts, which makes some sense because he fits much the way Rafael Furcal would’ve fit — the Braves could move Kelly Johnson to left field, plug Roberts at 2B and have the proven leadoff guy they need.

And I have to believe that the Cubs will call again. They can't really be that happy with Miles/Fontenot and Soriano leading off. BRob will catapult them up in quality.

Luke Scott and Brian Roberts for Kelly Johnson, Freddie Freeman, Brandon Hicks and Kris Medlen.

I'm surprised that some people are so quick to call an extra year a 'deal killer,' when in actuality, we don't have a 2B within 4 years of the majors. We have two prospects, in Hoes and Turner, but neither have proven they're the next person to fill BRob's shoes. Besides, if we traded him for another 2B prospect, there is no guarantee that that person would produce at BRob's level (ever).

To sign him to a 4/40-44 deal is fair considering he's been productive, both on and off the field, he's a homegrown talent, he'll be productive for most if not ALL of his contract, and it would offer one more indication to fans and the league that we're serious about signing our own, developing, and turing the organization into a contender.

Wieters

Roberts

Markakis

Jones

Snyder (?)

That would be a nice core of generally young, good offense. :)

If 4 years at $10 mil or less a year will do it, get it done. Finding a true leadoff guy like Roberts is not easy and he's a great Orioles on and off the field.

Agreed. He's been a good soldier in the organization for a decade now during tough times, and ballplayers almost always get (relatively speaking) underpaid when they're young and overpaid when they're old.

We might be anxiously counting down to the end of the deal in the final year, but between now and then I see very little risk with keeping him in the fold.

Roberts will become the club's all-time leader in games played at 2B with a healthy 2009, and I think he'll be more valuable to the Orioles in 2010 or 2011 than pretty much every name associated with him so far in reasonable trade speculation.

Yeah I'm inclinded to agree with those that say we should give him the fourth year. I don't think Roberts has plateaued yet. Roberts was a late bloomer, plus he had a serious injury that kept him out for a year. I think his next four years could be among his best. When you couple this with the probability of a minimal return in a trade, keeping him is the way to go.

Archived