Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I believe there is a rule that he stays in as DH automatically when he’s done pitching. So he’s kinda both at the same time. Either way there’s no additional move to make. 

Yep.

Expanded rosters, 'Ohtani rule' among 2022 rule changes

Colloquially referred to as the "Shohei Ohtani rule," a pitcher who is in the starting lineup as a hitter can remain in the game as the DH after being pulled from the mound. Essentially, a two-way player will be considered two separate players on the lineup card.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Only 59?

I got 46 years.....since Eddie Murray's rookie season.  Saw Brooks play his last year (I honestly dont remember it much)  Saw last game of 82.  Saw Tippy pick off three in one inning and we won on a Len Sakata homerun in extra innings.  The sheer amount of joy I got off the first decade of my fandom has allowed me to still be a super fan through some real dark days.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The original intent for the pitcher exception was to curb abuse by Earl Weaver, who would write in the starting pitcher as a DH, but then pinch hit for him in his first at bat based on matchups or whatever.  So I think they covered the case by requiring that the pitcher-DH has to actually bat at least once for the Ohtani rule to apply.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hallas said:

The original intent for the pitcher exception was to curb abuse by Earl Weaver, who would write in the starting pitcher as a DH, but then pinch hit for him in his first at bat based on matchups or whatever.  So I think they covered the case by requiring that the pitcher-DH has to actually bat at least once for the Ohtani rule to apply.

I wish, I was young enough to have watched Earl Weaver manage during his prime instead of his 1985-86 comeback. He was a genius game manager with moves like the one mentioned above.

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I got 46 years.....since Eddie Murray's rookie season.  Saw Brooks play his last year (I honestly dont remember it much)  Saw last game of 82.  Saw Tippy pick off three in one inning and we won on a Len Sakata homerun in extra innings.  The sheer amount of joy I got off the first decade of my fandom has allowed me to still be a super fan through some real dark days.  

That sounds about right.  1961 was my first year as a fan.  1961-1986 was a great time to be a new Orioles fan.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Drafted and developed.

So both.

He wasn't drafted.

He does not meet the criteria set forth.

You could also say he wasn't developed since his game progressed after the trade.

I'm not stupid enough to believe the criteria was intended to exclude young players from other countries who can't be drafted -- because no draft exists for them.  Eduardo Rodriguez was one of the Orioles' top prospects when they traded him, and he pitched well in the minors the few years he was here.  So, I guess by your trolling logic, it's not relevant the Dodgers developed Pedro Martinez because they couldn't draft him.  

Not sure why you would claim EdRod "progressed" after he was traded to the Red Sox.  Based on his performance for the Orioles in the minors it appears he followed on more or less the same trajectory.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

That sounds about right.  1961 was my first year as a fan.  1961-1986 was a great time to be a new Orioles fan.

I never really understood losing.  I thought it was my birthright as an Oriole fan that we always were in the pennant chase.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I've been to (estimated) 700 or 800 MLB games in my lifetime and 50 hours ago I had never witnessed anyone hitting for a cycle in person.  And now I have a chance to see a second.

And that guy might get a W also 🤯

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I never really understood losing.  I thought it was my birthright as an Oriole fan that we always were in the pennant chase.  

First year I really followed the Orioles was 1983 and it was awesome, but not the best season for expectation level setting. I never would have believed it if someone in 1983 told me 40 years later we'd still be waiting for the O's to return back to the World Series.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I'm not stupid enough to believe the criteria was intended to exclude young players from other countries who can't be drafted -- because no draft exists for them.  Eduardo Rodriguez was one of the Orioles' top prospects when they traded him, and he pitched well in the minors the few years he was here.  So, I guess by your trolling logic, it's not relevant the Dodgers developed Pedro Martinez because they couldn't draft him.  

Not sure why you would claim EdRod "progressed" after he was traded to the Red Sox.  Based on his performance for the Orioles in the minors it appears he followed on more or less the same trajectory.

The person that set the criteria repped me for pointing out that Rodriguez didn't meet the criteria.

As for him being a top prospect?  Sure, but he was also the third ranked starting pitching prospect for the team and was having a down season when he was traded.