Saturday Afternoon May 20: Orioles at Blue Jays

SteveA

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He’s almost as bad as Mateo.

Vavra’s last at bat wasn’t BAD, it just had a bad result. I think he saw like 7 pitches.

Mateo on the other hand, he is just awful.

Pitches help but you simply have to be productive when you have the opportunity.  Got to advance runners, and although he is not a regular OF that was a poor route on the double.  He provides versatility but if you aren't hitting and you aren't a plus defender there are a lot of more attractive options.  

3 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Probably shouldn't have this thought process, as I want him to do well, but it is always compelling when an athlete who has always been the best player on the field to face adversity for the first time. Really curious how he reacts to it.  

Gunnar's had a .942 OPS over the last week, and this DP was a bit unlucky with a .470 xBA. We can see from the eye test that it's not quite there yet but I think he'll be fine. Wish he kept drawing walks at that rate though.

I have been to exactly one MLB game in Toronto. On FRiday night, October 29, 1989, in what was then the brand-new SkyDome, I was among the 49,636 on hand for the opener of the three-game series between the Jays and the young "Why Not"  Orioles that would decide the NL East winner. Usually when I watch an Oriole game at the Rogers Centre, I can't help thinking once or twice about Gregg Olson's eighth-inning wild pitch that wiped out the Orioles' 1-0 lead. The BJs won in 11 innings.

Listening to Olson call this game is a little weird for me. I tuned in late -- second inning. Was there any discussion about the '89 season-ending series before then? If so, I'm glad I missed it.