After 47 games, a historical comparison

InsideCoroner

Here is how this year’s club stacks up in terms of win/loss record against some historical Orioles teams at the same point in the season:

1966: 30-17

1969: 32-15

1970: 34-13

1971: 28-19

1979: 30-17

1983: 26-21

2023: 31-16

Solid company. If we can win two of three in New York, I think I’ll start mixing up my own batch of Kool-Aid.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Not to be a downer, but 

2005: 30-17

So now lets talk about what makes the 2023 team and org different from that team

Steroids.

Seriously though, l believe the starting pitching is better, along with the bullpen. Obviously there's a lot of talent in the MiL's that could potentially reinforce the team this season, or be used for trade.

I remember Javy went down with an injury on that team. That kind of thing is unpredictable.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Steroids.

Seriously though, l believe the starting pitching is better, along with the bullpen. Obviously there's a lot of talent in the MiL's that could potentially reinforce the team this season, or be used for trade.

I remember Javy went down with an injury on that team. That kind of thing is unpredictable.

I think the Minors are the big thing right here. 2005 they got off to a great start and just couldn't sustain it and there were no reinforcements. 

29 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Not to be a downer, but 

So now lets talk about what makes the 2023 team and org different from that team

That was the year I think the O's pitching suddenly looked very good (in the early season).  Was it a Bedard injury that started the downward spiral?  I checked the offense and it was Mora and Tejada and not much else.  This year's offense seems much more broad based.

3 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

I think the Minors are the big thing right here. 2005 they got off to a great start and just couldn't sustain it and there were no reinforcements. 

I agree. The 2005 team was "all in", and when they started to crumble there really wasn't a way to slow it down.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That was the year I think the O's pitching suddenly looked very good (in the early season).  Was it a Bedard injury that started the downward spiral?  I checked the offense and it was Mora and Tejada and not much else.  This year's offense seems much more broad based.

That was probably Bruce Chen's best season, and the same could probably be said for Cabrera. 

A lot of players had their last good year on that team.

42 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Here is how this year’s club stacks up in terms of win/loss record against some historical Orioles teams at the same point in the season:

1966: 30-17

1969: 32-15

1970: 34-13

1971: 28-19

1979: 30-17

1983: 26-21

2023: 31-16

Solid company. If we can win two of three in New York, I think I’ll start mixing up my own batch of Kool-Aid.

A sweep in Toronto wasn’t good for a little Kool-Aid?  Not to mention 2/3 against TB. This team is legit, regardless of what happens in NY. 

45 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Not to be a downer, but 

But, that team topped out at 14 games over .500, a figure it reached several times, the latest being at the 70-game mark.  This team is further over .500 (+15) than that team ever got.  I don’t think this team has proven anything yet but I’m supremely confident that they’re much better than that 2005 team.  

I’ve been thinking about the 2016 team. That team got to +18 on July 25, but never got any higher and finished at +16.  The 2013 team got to +14 on July 22 but finished at +8.   Last year’s team got as high as +10 but finished +4.  So, there’s a long way to go before we know how things will shake out for this team.  The teams that are memorable tend to be ones that had a strong finishing kick.  Here’s the record of the WS teams in the last 47 games of the season:

1966: 24-23

1969: 29-18

1970: 35-12

1971: 32-15

1979: 28-19

1983: 33-14

That ‘66 team kind of coasted in, but the others didn’t.   This year’s team won’t be able to afford to, I suspect.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the depth of this team in its position players will keep it in contention should any slumping occur. We can replace with players waiting in AAA.

The bullpen is going to keep the O's in a lot of games even if the rotation really falters. I can't see a really bad stretch because the bullpen will keep the O's in almost every game, and the offense has to come back in almost every situation (obviously down 10-0 in the 3rd is almost never happening).

44 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

To be honest, there’s one player on this current team who a major injury to would absolutely destroy this team. Gotta just hope it doesn’t happen