Motivated Sellers

Filmstudy

Looking at the rosters of noncontending teams for players who might be available without trading a mess of talent, there really is not a ton that is a clear upgrade.  One guy with a big salary that might be available is Jorge Soler of the Marlins.  He'd lose some HRs to Camden Yards, but I'd expect he'd be available for close to nothing since he's making $15M and has a $9M player option for 2024.  His OPS+ is 128 now but he almost has to DH.

I hear Keith Moreland is also available.

Let's hear some other suggestions, particularly for hitters. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Unless they can pitch Im not interested. Only position I would target for an upgrade now is 1B/MOOB like Goldschmidt but I don't think STL is out of it yet.

Saint Louis is only 5 games out in their terrible division despite a 10-21 start. They aren’t going anywhere. 

• Like 1

Of all two teams to work together, BOS helped the NYY out by sending them a warm AAAA body after the Aaron Hicks DFA.     I don't know if he'll appear against us this week.

DET this week completed a transaction of a high minors guy for a low minors guy - I think the other 29 GM's know Detroit is open for business anytime you care to meet Harris' ask.

@Filmstudy it's great to see you on here! I am a big fan of the work that you do covering the Ravens!

As far as player availability, there indeed is more of a scarcity now as this is one of the effects of the extra wild card (the more teams that are in it longer, the less sellers there will be). So, there will definitely be a cost increase for the players that are traded as there will be less of them (basic supply/demand).

However, we are prospect-rich, the richest in the game, with an overabundance of positional players in our org, so it would not be prudent for us to go the cheap route. IMO what is holding us back from being true WS contenders is better starting pitching.

Now onto your post/question - I think that it's still too early to tell with some of these teams, DET is only a handful of games back at the moment (in a very winnable division) will they be willing to sell an Eduardo Rodriguez (who has an opt-out at season's end, but will most likely be the best pitcher on the market available)? As MIA falls out of contention (hopefully) will they be willing to part with a Jesus Luzardo? Four out of their 5 top prospects are pitchers and the best two have recently made their MLB debuts. They are the opposite of the Orioles in that they have an abundance of starting pitching but few position players/hitters. They have Soler (as you already mentioned), De La Cruz, Arraez, and who? They don't have enough force in their lineup to win, so they are stuck in the middle as is, despite their great starting pitcher. The CHI SOX are probably your other likely seller. Some have suggested going for one of their starting pitchers. Out of their group, everyone knows that I would prefer Cease. But so far, he is having a down year. Maybe that would lower his trade value? Maybe not?

Either way, given our roster construction, it is not a batter who completes our championship contender puzzle. It is a starting pitcher (or 2). We already are having issues finding ABs for all of the guys that we currently have, we 2 backed up at AAA. And then at some point (probably next year) Kjerstad and Holliday will be finding their place as regulars. 

We don't need anymore hitting. What we need is pitching.

I was thinking about the OP's question and starting considering Joc Pederson as a hitter, but then when you look at his statistics, he's really not anything better than what we already have, and the articles are over-hyping him. And he's considered potentially one of the best available for this year's trade deadline.

32 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Saint Louis is only 5 games out in their terrible division despite a 10-21 start. They aren’t going anywhere. 

They also don’t strike me as a team that would start rebuilding if they had one down year in 2023.  But, I don’t follow them closely and perhaps I’m wrong.  In any event, the Cardinals always seem to find a way into the race by September and I agree it’s too early to see them as sellers.  

Just now, Frobby said:

They also don’t strike me as a team that would start rebuilding if they had one down year in 2023.  But, I don’t follow them closely and perhaps I’m wrong.  In any event, the Cardinals always seem to find a way into the race by September and I agree it’s too early to see them as sellers.  

Yea I think it’s unlikely too although maybe they feel Walker will be a first baseman with his defensive issues and with Goldschmidt only signed for one more year, perhaps they take advantage of that? (Speculation on my part about Walker going to first)

Goldy would be an intriguing option, especially if Mountcastle could be in the deal. (For roster reasons)

Soler can be a menacing threat at the plate as a larger, right handed hitting Santander. Not really sure how/where he would fit in though. We already have Westburg and Cowser deserving of MLB at-bats but can’t find any, apparently. 

A .267 OBP from Mountcastle is completely unacceptable. But I’m sure he’ll go on a two week heater and get the WRC and OPS to find enough levels. I don’t think an outside addition replacing Mounty is necessary but he is asking Kjerstad to take his job over the next year. Sad to say he has not improved at all since he debuted. 

SP upgrades are the obvious additions to be made, especially if Wells and Grayson are on innings counts. 

Cleveland could be sellers.  Beyond JoRam, their hitting has been rough.  Josh Naylor has picked it up lately and Kwan is getting on base.  But yikes...  They have some interesting SPs:  Bieber, Quantrill, and Civale likely trade chips.  I could see Civale even if the crowd wants Bieber.  I'd be asking about Bibee or Allen or Gavin Williams.

Toronto could be sellers.  Gausman reunion?  About $20m/yr and locked in through 2026 I believe.