So a different thread about the O's v Giants has gone off the rails and folks are venting about Melanie Newman's poor PBP performance. Here's a thread dedicated exclusively to your assessment of her abilities. Now, if I'm really bad at my job, and it's a public job. And lots and lots of folks including professional critics think I stink at my job. And I haven't shown a bit of improvement over several years at my job. I would hope to get the message and find another job to which I'm better suited and stop embarrassing myself. I'm looking at you Ms. Newman.

• Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather have her PBP than Mike Bordick's commentary!

Not me. I think in all my time listening to games, no one has been worse at their job than Newman.

I can’t think of anything positive that she brings to the booth.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed. I felt bad for Bordick because by all accounts he’s a good guy but listening to him was brutal. 

He does seem like a good guy but he was painful to listen too.  I will take Melanie any day.

So last night Melanie did TV play by play with Palmer. Hollander was on radio with Arnold. Tonight Melanie is on radio and Hollander is on TV. 

I did not stay up late last night. I wonder if they commented if they would be switching last night? 

Very odd they switched after one game. Not saying it wasn’t planned but I’m wondering if the flip wasn’t planned?

The sideline and pregame reporting stuff she does is fine. It’s almost as if she’s not a trained PBP person, and they just throw her in there because they don’t have a third stringer on the payroll for that position.

It’d be like playing Vavra at catcher if Adley and McCann went down. 

Been watching MLB on TV since the mid '60s, and Newman is the worst play by play announcer I've ever heard. Not blaming her in particular as very few people can do the job well (I certainly couldn't). But whoever put her in that position needs to be launched into the sun. Her penchant for going totally silent while plays are happening is infuriating in the extreme, and should get her locked out of the broadcast booth for life. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Jim Hunter and Mike Bordick as a combo... how we survived that I do not know. 

Hunter with Buck Martinez also was quite awful.  I never did understand how Martinez got a job doing Orioles broadcasts.  

• Upvote 1