Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

14 hours ago, LA2 said:

It was only against the lowly Nationals today, but having Webb and Wells as reliable late-inning arms out of the bullpen would give a huge boost to the ability of the O's to go deep in the long slog of the postseason battles.

I still think Wells could close. He looked even more comfortable last night. Yes, the Nationals, ok. But his demeanor and the stuff play up out of the pen. Outside of the last outing Cano had I’m more inclined to think Wells can strike out more hitters.

Definitely glad they brought him back. 

Edited by Il BuonO
Stuff, not stiff.
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think there is about 10 players that will not be with the O's for one reason or another next season.

FA - Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Fuji

Non tenders - Lopez, Zimmermann

Trades - Urias, Norby, Stowers, (McKenna who is out of options)

Agreed with this list. I wonder what a package of Hays, Urias, Norby and Stowers would net us?

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think there is about 10 players that will not be with the O's for one reason or another next season.

FA - Gibson, Frazier, Flaherty, Fuji

Non tenders - Lopez, Zimmermann

Trades - Urias, Norby, Stowers, (McKenna who is out of options)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mateo non-tendered. He was given a pay increase last year on the heels of being a 3 WAR player. I imagine he won't get much of a bump off this year, but not sure he's kept with the infielders we have in the minors (namely Ortiz and Holliday). 

11 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mateo non-tendered. He was given a pay increase last year on the heels of being a 3 WAR player. I imagine he won't get much of a bump off this year, but not sure he's kept with the infielders we have in the minors (namely Ortiz and Holliday). 

For me it depends on when they think Holliday will be promoted.

I can see them beginning the season with Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz and Mateo.

FWIW, I liked Wells in last night's role. Thought he brought an imposing presence to the mound with more accurate stuff in and around the zone than what we've seen from other experiments. If his lackluster stats towards the end of his minor league stint were due to tweaking stuff without regard of minor league stats to base their strategy off of, I feel much better about Wells out there in the BP.

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think they think of Mateo as a unicorn who is valuable in close games and in the playoffs.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep him around until they find someone else with his skillset. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think they think of Mateo as a unicorn who is valuable in close games and in the playoffs.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them keep him around until they find someone else with his skillset. 

I think you need about a 28 man roster before that narrow a skillset is worth a roster spot.