Lineup needs pop - easy roster moves

HelenaEngineer

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Last year Tampa had something like 20 guys on the IL at the same time.   I think the other day someone said a team had 12 on the IL this year.  The O's have 4 on the IL right now.  

If the O's have a rash on injuries to the pitching staff then they will need pitchers like Gillespie and Zim.  There is not much pitching depth in the minors that is ready for the 40 man roster.   On the other hand there is a lot of position player depth in the minors.   That is why Lester is easier to DFA no matter if they lose him to another team or not.  I don't think Vavra is going any where but to Norfolk.

Lester could be DFA'd, but I think you lose him. Now whether that matters or not is debatable and I'd be fine if he was DFA'd, but Gillespie is easily replaceable and Denoyer has regressed. I think they would probably make it through waivers and still be in the org if needed to be re-added.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

To promote Cowser and Westburg they need 40 man roster spots.   Optioning McKenna and Lester will not create 40 man roster spots.

OK - good points on the roster. I was focused on the 26 and was not thinking it all the way through. I don't think it changes anything significantly, though. Promote Johnson and put him on the 60, DFA Gillaspie or Denoyer or Lester. It's time for Cowser and Westburg to play. These games in June count just as much as the ones in September and carrying two players who can't contribute to protect a couple of 40 man bubble players who will likely never contribute anything meaningful doesn't seem reasonable.