Cole Irvin

wildcard

There is a spot open in the rotation and this is his chance to claim it.     KC has the 28th best hitting team.   So that is a low bar for Irvin to cross.    But he is a control pitcher who last started a game on May 31st.   Nine days between starts is not optimum.  Good luck Cole.   The O's need some to step up.

• Upvote 1

On paper this looks to align well for Cole. It would be a MAJOR improvement to the team if he can just eat innings of even 5ish ERA ball. Hopefully he can go six and give up less than 5. Based on his track record it seems he is capable of doing that. Hopefully the command issues that plagued him early are resolved. I had high hopes for him coming into the season. He was my sleeper guy for this year. I need him to do well so I look less stupid than I already look. 

Edited by banks703

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm asking this without any intention of trolling. This is the best the organization can produce.  

They didn't "produce" him. He had a decent enough track record from Oakland to expect him to be able to slot in as a fifth starter. We all know the short comings of the pitching in the O's system.

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm asking this without any intention of trolling. This is the best the organization can produce.  

It's not like they had two highly regarded former first round pitchers in the system when they arrived and have been picking high in the draft every year since.

You should temper your expectations.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

They didn't "produce" him. He had a decent enough track record from Oakland to expect him to be able to slot in as a fifth starter. We all know the short comings of the pitching in the O's system.

I thought about discussing the word choice but produce could be meant a number of different ways.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not like they had two highly regarded former first round pitchers in the system when they arrived and have been picking high in the draft every year since.

I'm just hoping that they can draft some more middle infielders and leave them in the MiL's until they can keep them around well into their 30's.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean, "Yes".  Of course these things are all mutable over time.  

12 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

They also have Vallimont, Zimmerman and Rom in AAA.

But Irvin has a track record of success. Just hasnt happened this year for whatever reason. 

2021-2022 gave Irvin a chance to acclimate, but overall in the MLB talent landscape, I do believe him getting 300 IP or whatever it was had more to do with OAK than him.      Other Orgs had similar talents who just couldn't earn the reps on more talented teams.

Hopefully he'll be fine for us.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

2021-2022 gave Irvin a chance to acclimate, but overall in the MLB talent landscape, I do believe him getting 300 IP or whatever it was had more to do with OAK than him.      Other Orgs had similar talents who just couldn't earn the reps on more talented teams.

Hopefully he'll be fine for us.

Or a home ballpark suited to his pitching style.

I would not be excited to see him pitch vs the Blue Jays.   But he O's have you set up to face the Royals, then Cubs, then may be the Reds.    He may be able to do that.   Hopefully Grayson will be ready sometime in the next month.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or a home ballpark suited to his pitching style.

This is a very plausible thesis. If you look at Irvin's Home/Away splits, they were huge during 2022 and less so, but still significant in 2021: .874 / .581 OPS-against in '22; .777 / .714 in '21.

Maybe the FO thought Walltimore (he's a southpaw) and exceptionally good IF defense--something that we haven't lived up to this year so far, although I don't know the stats--might make up for the deep, wide plains of Oakland. 

Edited by LA2