What's the Best 9/Best Lineup When Ced Comes Back?

ScGO's

So the prevailing thought is that Hicks is a mirage right now. Not sure I buy that. I think he'll be a case of finishing off this season playing pretty well, but he could be done after this year. I think this rejuvenation will carry him through the rest of this season, and I'm willing to pencil him into LF for the rest of the way. I like Hays' arm in RF. Santander as the permanent DH or someone to give an OFer a blow, but in RF only. If Ced needs a day off, Hicks plays CF and Hays is in LF. If Hicks needs a day off, Hays is in LF and Santander in RF. If Hays needs a day, it's a straight swap with Santa. But I don't want to see O'Hearn or Lester in the OF ever again - that's totally unjustifiable, IMO. 

Here's my preferred, optimal lineup:

Ced - CF
Adley - C
Gunnar - 3b
Santander - DH
Hays - RF
Hicks - LF
O'Hearn - 1b
Fraizer - 2b
Mateo - ss

Honestly, it's very hard for me to keep Urias out of the lineup, but I don't want to keep moving Gunnar back and forth. I also want to squeeze every ounce of production out of Fraizer that we can possibly get, similarly to Hicks. If he runs out of gas, then put Urias at 2b. If Hicks fizzles out, Santander (or, as a novel idea, Cowser) can take his place. Maybe Urias and Santander can share DH duties sometimes as well. Santander is a switch hitter, but I think he's much better from the left side anyway. Plus, the DH is a good way to get guys rest and get more guys more ABs. As I said recently, Urias needs 20+ ABs a week.

You ride Hicks as long as he's playing well, but this feels like a 2004 David Newhan situation. Or a March/April Mateo one. I'm just hoping Hicks proves to be good enough until Mullins is back (or until we deem Cowser ready). 

Ultimately I think the optimal starting lineup by the end of the year is: 

1. CF- Cedric Mullins (L)

2. C- Adley Rutchman (S)

3. SS- Gunnar Henderson (L)

4. DH- Anthony Santander (S)

5. LF- Austin Hays (R)

6. RF- Colten Cowser (L)

7. 1B- Ryan Mountcastle (R) - I do think he gets better, but he will run hot/cold and I think he fits better lower in the order, but if he doesn't come around or is injured, then O'Hearn fits here---or a trade. 

8. 2B- Jordan Westburg (R)

9. 3B- Ramon Urias (R)

The bench then becomes: McCann, Mateo, Frazier and Hicks - obviously, all of these guys get some playing team based on matchups (though I really don't want to see McCann unless it's an off day for Adley). Mateo can also be used as a PR often, particularly in extra innings as the guy on 2B to start the inning. Frazier sees some time at 2B (with Urias on the bench and Westburg sliding over to 3B) and OF. Hicks can play some in place of Cowser or Hays or Mullins to give days off. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don't think Santander is an Oriole as of 6:01PM EST on August 1st. 

I'd be totally fine with that, because it would mean Elias extracted good value for him in a trade.

I'm also fine with Santander DHing and playing 1B in what would be the best offense in baseball (if Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, and Kjerstad are all in the lineup) from a talent perspective.