Wandisson Charles 2023

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

According to bbref, Charles is 6-4 250. I'd like to know how hard he throws. 

From a couple of years ago: Wandisson Charles - Scouting Report — Prospects Live

Fastball: 4-seam that sits 95-98 and can touch 100. Glimpses of great vertical movement but often ends up running unintentionally. Spin axis and efficiency appear inconsistent likely due to trouble finding his release point. Emphasis on letting the velo come naturally has helped his ability to control the fastball and fixing his release issues could make the pitch a truly great offering. Grade: 70

• Upvote 1

I used bing.com's chagpt 4.0 (available only when using edge browser) to get an AI scouting report:

According to the scouting reports, Wandisson Charles throws very hard and has a dominant fastball that can reach triple-digits. He also has a plus slider that he uses as his main secondary pitch1. His other pitches include a curveball, a cutter and a changeup, but they are not as effective as his fastball-slider combo2. His main weakness is his control and command, which have been inconsistent throughout his career. He has improved his walk rate over the years, but he still struggles to locate his pitches at times12. He is a pure reliever who can overpower hitters when he’s on, but he needs to refine his mechanics and pitch selection to reach his full potential1.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I spoke about him somewhere on here probably when I put him in the top 30 on the Prospect power rankings. 

His turn around is pretty crazy. I watched several of games last year after the Orioles invited him to spring training and the guy was a complete thrower. 

I watched him at Bowie a bit and while I would not call him a command guy, he's certainly found something to throw quality strikes. You can't teach 98 MPH and that's what he was sitting one game. 

I'll go back and watch his 4 strikeout inning but I'm sure it's impressive. 

• Upvote 4

• Tony-OH changed the title to Wandisson Charles 2003
18 hours ago, interloper said:

I say get this guy to Norfolk ASAP just in case we end up needing him for a cross-your-fingers-for-another-Cano type of bullpen boost. 

Maybe he'll come from Bowie like Manny!    Norfolk, Bowie, Driveline, the Bel Air facility - it doesn't matter as long as OMAR can see the data, and it doesn't matter much* if its me or Vlad in the batter's box.     

The one-inning reliever guy's 18 pitches did this, and Cole Irvin is disposable as competition intensity elevates.

*I think Bryan Baker could throw get me over pitches in the strike zone to me often enough not to walk me.     Maybe.

He was sitting 97 and got it up to 99 last night.  Looks like he throws a slider (announcer was calling a cutter) at 88/89.  
he gave up a bloop hit to Tyler Naquin.  Got a strike out and weak pop up on the slider.  Looks like he struggles with locating the slider a bit.  Spiked the K and missed a few.  Judging by the swing - it looked pretty effective.  Seems like he throws his fastball with confidence.  It was always in zone and he located it well.  

• Upvote 4

On 6/23/2023 at 9:52 AM, emmett16 said:

He was sitting 97 and got it up to 99 last night.  Looks like he throws a slider (announcer was calling a cutter) at 88/89.  
he gave up a bloop hit to Tyler Naquin.  Got a strike out and weak pop up on the slider.  Looks like he struggles with locating the slider a bit.  Spiked the K and missed a few.  Judging by the swing - it looked pretty effective.  Seems like he throws his fastball with confidence.  It was always in zone and he located it well.  

Great report.

He threw another 1.1 innings today with no baserunners.  Assuming he can keep up his effectiveness at close to the current level and given some of the holes in the bullpen, I would not be shocked if he was out there by the end of July.

Charles will turn 27 in September, so there should be no issue with a desire to manipulate service time.  When they do bring him up it will be to catch lightning in a bottle, not with concern over control of his age 34 season 

• Upvote 1