Rank our top needs:

DocJJ

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WHAT?

I showed evidence that the O's are not following the Astros plan and I get are, well sure they aren't.  Who would expect them to?

Folks here misrepresent what the Rays and Astros do and did all the time.

The Astros absolutely tried to draft and develop pitching, they still are.  You don't see them waiting until the 5th round to select pitchers year after year.

The Rays extend young players to team favorable deals.

The O's are *almost* exclusively drafting and developing hitters while emphasizing players on one and two year contracts.  Now maybe that works out, but it sure ain't what those other two teams are doing.

Right, I'm agreeing with you.  You pointed out how Elias did draft pitchers in the early rounds in Houston.  I'm just saying based on the 4 Houston pitchers you cited, none of which have panned out, Elias is now gun shy about drafting pitchers in the early rounds based on his own experience in Houston.  I think you and I are both saying the O's should not get carried away with a "don't draft pitchers early" philosophy based on a run of bad luck in Houston.  

But it could be Elias understands Houston could take more risks in the draft because they have a lot more money to spend in free agency and paying for veterans' salaries acquired in trades.  He may feel the need to be more conservative when drafting pitchers in Baltimore because the O's, even in a trade, may not allow Elias (for example) to pay for the remaining years on Justin Verlander's contract.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The 3rd games has Irvin, Baumann, Garrett and Perez..... Or their replacements which could be Gillaspie, Hernandez or Bazardo until Tate and Givens are ready.

Means in August.

I am looking forward to seeing what we have in Hernandez and Bazardo. It can be tough jumping to the big leagues, bot those 2 have dominated AAA. I'm also a big fan of Vespi and I think Vespi could take Perez's spot on the active roster right now if the front office wanted to pull the trigger.

I could also see a scenerio where Means winds up in the Pen if he's able to return this season, because he's been out of baseball for so long and he'd basically just be rehabbing to get active in the big leagues again.  They can get him back quicker if they don't have to stretch him out. But otherwise, I wouldn't even say he's likely to return in August. He (and all of us) will be lucky if he returns this season.

After a major surgery on his throwing arm and nearly 2 seasons inactive/out of baseball, who knows what type of pitcher John Means will be when he returns. I'm not counting on him to save the day as a starter.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Goldschmidt would make a really nice rental but the problem is the expense he will cost to acquire him. You're giving up long term top talent for just 2 months of service. Maybe 1 year at best if you're able to keep him. I don't see him this productive for much longer at his age. It's not worth shrinking our window of opportunity by giving up top prospects unless they are players the front office just has no room for in their long term plans. 

I believe that Goldy is signed for next year too.  Trading for Goldschmidt is a no brainer if the price isn't exorbitant.  He would make our offense elite, top 5 easy.  The goal is to get to the playoffs and ultimately win the World Series, not amass the most prospects.  What happens to Mountcastle?  He would probably get traded somewhere for minimal return. 

With Goldy added, and Cowser and Westburg promoted, our lineup could look like this:

Mullins  CF

Adley  C

Goldschmidt  1B

Henderson 3B

Santander DH

Cowser LF

Westburg 2B

Hays RF

Mateo SS

Bench:  McCann, Urias, Frazier, Hicks

I would put that lineup up against anyone.

14 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

But it could be Elias understands Houston could take more risks in the draft because they have a lot more money to spend in free agency and paying for veterans' salaries acquired in trades.  He may feel the need to be more conservative when drafting pitchers in Baltimore because the O's, even in a trade, may not allow Elias (for example) to pay for the remaining years on Justin Verlander's contract.

I tend to think this is right. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the plan all along was for Elias to build the farm, and then start adding targeted FA's here and there. All was proceeding on target, then we hear the "lift off" statement, and shortly after that, the purse strings got tightened significantly.

It doesn't seem believable that an owner of a sports franchise would do that. But it doesn't seem believable that an owner would say "I'll open up all the books" and then never do so. 

If there is a plus bat available for a reasonable price that plays 1B/DH I think Elias has to consider it. The offense is too uneven and a veteran bat might help stabilize things.

Gunnar and even if Westburg or Cower are called are rookies, and it's not reasonable to expect them to be as consistent hitting like a more established player.

The O's need one more starter and a couple of reliable middle relievers.  Grayson or Means might be able to upgrade the rotation, but I don't see how they upgrade the bullpen without a trade.  

I think the O's need to upgrade the lineup just as much as the pitching.  There are just too many easy outs on this team--Mateo, McCann, McKenna, Mountcaste, Frazier, Lester and Ortiz.   Fortunately there are potentially good internal options available in Cowser and Westburg.  The O's need to give them a shot ASAP, so that they know what they have and can decide whether they need to trade for offensive help.  I'd hate to see the O's trade for a bat without even seeing how much help they could get right now from Westburg and Cowser.  

22 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I believe that Goldy is signed for next year too.  Trading for Goldschmidt is a no brainer if the price isn't exorbitant.  He would make our offense elite, top 5 easy.  The goal is to get to the playoffs and ultimately win the World Series, not amass the most prospects.  What happens to Mountcastle?  He would probably get traded somewhere for minimal return. 

With Goldy added, and Cowser and Westburg promoted, our lineup could look like this:

Mullins  CF

Adley  C

Goldschmidt  1B

Henderson 3B

Santander DH

Cowser LF

Westburg 2B

Hays RF

Mateo SS

I like your Idea but I believe we can do better if St. Louis is going to retool we should try a blockbuster deal and get Arenado and Montgomery also....Mountcastle, Stowers, Westburg, Ortiz, Wagner, Rom and Armbruester and I may throw in a couple low level prospects if they give me a window to extend Goldy and Montgomery and eat some salary 

1-Mullins-CF

2-Rutschman-C

3-Goldschmidt-1B

4-Santander-RF

5-Arenado-3B

6-Henderson-SS

7-Hays-LF

8-O'Hearn-DH

9-Urias-2B..... Holliday's position next year

Bench:  McCann, Frazier, Mateo, Hicks

My Lineup Wins..  :) 

4 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

I like your Idea but I believe we can do better if St. Louis is going to retool we should try a blockbuster deal and get Arenado and Montgomery also....Mountcastle, Stowers, Westburg, Ortiz, Wagner, Rom and Armbruester and I may throw in a couple low level prospects if they give me a window to extend Goldy and Montgomery and eat some salary 

1-Mullins-CF

2-Rutschman-C

3-Goldschmidt-1B

4-Santander-RF

5-Arenado-3B

6-Henderson-SS

7-Hays-LF

8-O'Hearn-DH

9-Urias-2B..... Holliday's position next year

Bench:  McCann, Frazier, Mateo, Hicks

My Lineup Wins..  :) 

I like your lineup.  Your O's must have a new owner.  😝

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

The O's need one more starter and a couple of reliable middle relievers.  Grayson or Means might be able to upgrade the rotation, but I don't see how they upgrade the bullpen without a trade.  

I think the O's need to upgrade the lineup just as much as the pitching.  There are just too many easy outs on this team--Mateo, McCann, McKenna, Mountcaste, Frazier, Lester and Ortiz.   Fortunately there are potentially good internal options available in Cowser and Westburg.  The O's need to give them a shot ASAP, so that they know what they have and can decide whether they need to trade for offensive help.  I'd hate to see the O's trade for a bat without even seeing how much help they could get right now from Westburg and Cowser.  

It’s a little soon to refer to Joey Ortiz as an easy out, isn’t it? He has 30 plate appearances, some of which have been as a pinch hitter, and he has been used as the weak side of a platoon. Expecting consistency from a young player accustomed to playing everyday in the role that Ortiz has been given seems more than a little unfair to me.

Also, Ortiz at Norfolk this year, Ortiz has a .943 OPS and a 129 wRC+. As a comparison, Westburg has a .952 OPS and a 133 wRC+. Ortiz is not a no hit, plus defending middle infielder. He can hit, I just don’t think he has been given an opportunity to show what he can do.

SP is biggest need but I have my doubts they will find someone definitely better. Doesn’t mean you don’t try. 

Best chance to add help is to acquire a couple of pen arms. 

A RH bat could be added as well. Chance this can come internally. 

On 6/17/2023 at 1:28 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mullins  CF

Adley  C

Goldschmidt  1B

Henderson 3B

Santander DH

Cowser LF

Westburg 2B

Hays RF

Mateo SS

I think you have to give up Cowser or Westburg to get Goldschmidt