Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

That’s what I speculated in another thread. My guess would be Cowser, but I’d bring up Westburg first. There was a twitter rumor yesterday that someone from Norfolk would be joining the team in Tampa today. 

Edited by waroriole

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

That’s what I speculated in another thread. My guess would be Cowser, but I’d bring up Westburg first. There was a twitter rumor yesterday that someone from Norfolk would be joining the team in Tampa today. 

I think Cowser makes more sense for what we need right now than Westburg.  Lester down, Cowser up is the move I would make.  O'Hearn and Santander can split 1B/DH duties.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I think Cowser makes more sense for what we need right now than Westburg.  Lester down, Cowser up is the move I would make.  O'Hearn and Santander can split 1B/DH duties.

I think we need someone else to play SS. Henderson moved to SS, Urias at 3B, and Westburg at 2B is what I’d like to see. Also, no reason it can’t be Cowser too, but sounds like it’s only one move for now. 

I refuse to get excited about a possible good call up until I hear something official, because this is probably just to clear room for another catcher on the 40-man, or some other such nonsense.

(but my fingers are crossed its Cowser/Westburg - don't even particularly care which one!)

I thought Watkins would get some starts this summer in Baltimore so I am little surprised by this but I guess this is the type of move you have to make if you want to bring up prospects and improve the 40 man.  I guess they feel confident in Voth coming back from injury? Seems like him or Zimmerman may have made a little more sense to DFA but that is probably splitting hairs.

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/orioles-dfa-spenser-watkins.html

“The Orioles have designated right-hander Spenser Watkins for assignment, Robert Murray of FanSided reports (via Twitter). Watkins has been pitching with their Triple-A Norfolk affiliate this season and is not on the big league roster at the moment, so the O’s will presumably have corresponding 40-man and 26-man transactions whenever his DFA is formally announced.”

I think Hotstove got this wrong as Watkins is on the active 26 man roster. https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster

But it doesn’t make much sense to carry 14 position players and 12 pitchers for long. I believe they’ve only done that a couple times for 1 day at a time. 

It is a bit of a strange decision to me.  Watkins the person seems like a great dude and a good story but I've never really been a fan of Watkins the pitcher.  To me, fair or not, he represented kind of the worst part of the rebuild, just filling the roster with warm bodies rather than making an attempt to actually improve the team.

That said, they held on to him for this long, why DFA him now?  Just seems like odd timing to me, but to frank I don't understand most of the decisions they make with the ML roster.

Edited by glenn__davis