Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

36 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Can’t wait for the explosion when they bring up some random AAA bullpen arm instead of Cowser.

Along those lines I'll go with  Eduard Bazardo. Could be Cowser(makes the most sense) Maybe Diaz but doubt its Westburg even though he deserves it

All of the dead weight on the 40 man roster and Watkins is the one who gets DFAed?

And now we're shuffling the catcher deck chairs again?

No matter what w/ the catchers, a 40 man spot is still open w/ Watkins being DFAed correct? Wasn't Gillaspie already on the 40 man? So we still have a 40 man opening for Cowser/Westburg -- I assume Lester gets optioned for that move (hopefully).

Just now, dtk9119 said:

All of the dead weight on the 40 man roster and Watkins is the one who gets DFAed?

And now we're shuffling the catcher deck chairs again?

No matter what w/ the catchers, a 40 man spot is still open w/ Watkins being DFAed correct? Wasn't Gillaspie already on the 40 man? So we still have a 40 man opening for Cowser/Westburg -- I assume Lester gets optioned for that move (hopefully).

It's Bemboom who is added back onto the 40-man (noted by the verbiage, "contract selected"). Gillaspie was already on the 40-man, he had previously been optioned. Godoy remains on the 40-man, and is optioned. So the 40-man again has 3 catchers, and one less pitcher. 

It would be nice if someone in the media would just straight up ask someone in the know what the deal is with Westburg/Cowser. Lester being here in particular makes no sense. Him being LH is redundant to Santander and O’Hearn for first base time, and his ability to ply third is redundant with several players, including Westburg himself. And Lester being here pushes O’Hearn to the OF entirely too often. Even if you don’t believe the bat is fully ready, clearly you’d rather have Cowser in the OF defensively. It’s just nonsensical on so many levels. 

We can all speculate everyday all day as to why Elias has been very tentative/almost apprehensive to bring up his real prospects, going all the way back to Adley last year. But I hope insight is provided at some point in terms of the "methodology behind the madness" because on the surface, it doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.

I thought it was about "acclimating" 1 guy at a time (which IMO makes sense). But Henderson appears to be able to stand on his own 2 legs now, so the logical move would seem to bring up Cowser so that we can stop playing guys in the outfield who don't offer positive defensive value like O'Hearn. It seems that it would get guys like Lester off of the team, who do not have the talent profile to hold down a roster spot on a contending team.

But now, I'm rethinking what I thought the plan was with the insistence on recalling/retaining non-contributing players like 3rd catchers, Lester, mediocre at best bullpen arms. Like many of you, I just don't get it. These moves are head scratching at best.

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

It would be nice if someone in the media would just straight up ask someone in the know what the deal is with Westburg/Cowser. Lester being here in particular makes no sense. Him being LH is redundant to Santander and O’Hearn for first base time, and his ability to ply third is redundant with several players, including Westburg himself. And Lester being here pushes O’Hearn to the OF entirely too often. Even if you don’t believe the bat is fully ready, clearly you’d rather have Cowser in the OF defensively. It’s just nonsensical on so many levels. 

This!! ALL OF THIS!!!!!