AL Rookie of the Year Watch

Aristotelian

5 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

FWIW, the book I'm looking at currently has Jung +150, Yoshida +250, Gunnar +450, Brown +1400. If I had to guess the eventual winner, I would still pick Jung, but the last month for him (bad) and Gunnar (good) has opened things back up. I don't know how Yoshida is still that high, there honestly might be a little value on Gunnar.

Yeah, I would take Gunnar and Brown at those odds. Yoshida is crazy overvalued.

6 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

FWIW, the book I'm looking at currently has Jung +150, Yoshida +250, Gunnar +450, Brown +1400. If I had to guess the eventual winner, I would still pick Jung, but the last month for him (bad) and Gunnar (good) has opened things back up. I don't know how Yoshida is still that high, there honestly might be a little value on Gunnar.

Yoshida plays for the Sox.  That's how he's that high.

• 3 weeks later...

Updating 7/18/2023

Josh Jung 2.6 WAR, 19 HR, 58 RBI, .275/.324/.816, 120 OPS+

Gunnar Henderson 2.4 WAR, 14 HR, 40 RBI, .246/.341/.807, 124 OPS+

Masataka Yoshida 1.8 WAR, 11 HR, 50 RBI, .316/.379/.875, 133 OPS+

Gunnar has closed the gap in WAR, still trailing Jung in HR and average, very close in OPS. Yoshida has the advantage in slash lines but trails in HR and WAR. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Updating 7/18/2023

Josh Jung 2.6 WAR, 19 HR, 58 RBI, .275/.324/.816, 120 OPS+

Gunnar Henderson 2.4 WAR, 14 HR, 40 RBI, .246/.341/.807, 124 OPS+

Masataka Yoshida 1.8 WAR, 11 HR, 50 RBI, .316/.379/.875, 133 OPS+

Gunnar has closed the gap in WAR, still trailing Jung in HR and average, very close in OPS. Yoshida has the advantage in slash lines but trails in HR and WAR. 

Yoshida has the advantage of playing pro ball at a high level for 7 years before coming here. He's 30 years old and a "rookie". The main advantage he has is he plays for Boston.

• Upvote 2

So if it comes down to Gunnar (22) Yoshida (30) and Jung (25) either way I still think it is impressive that Gunnar is right there with the older guys in this race.  I wonder if becoming more of the primary SS in the second half a more premium position along with his younger age help sway some votes his way.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

So if it comes down to Gunnar (22) Yoshida (30) and Jung (25) either way I still think it is impressive that Gunnar is right there with the older guys in this race.  I wonder if becoming more of the primary SS in the second half a more premium position along with his younger age help sway some votes his way.

Fully expect Gunnar to pass Jung.  Jung (also) strikes out a bunch and doesn't walk nearly as much as Gunnar. 

Yoshida could be a tougher one to overcome, but there is still plenty of time. 

Gunnar just got by Jung on OPS for a minute, but entering the Rays series, Luke Raley may also be in this mix.

He barely undered 130 AB's while gaining 50+ games of experience in 2021-2022, so I believe technically eligible.   He at least shows up on Fangraphs rookie filters.

(Edit - Brown on the telecast reported Raley ineligible, I believe probably due to the days on roster thing).

Edited by Just Regular

16 hours ago, Malike said:

Yoshida has the advantage of playing pro ball at a high level for 7 years before coming here. He's 30 years old and a "rookie". The main advantage he has is he plays for Boston.

I think there should be a requirement that a "rookie" by definition is someone who hasn't played at the top level of pro baseball in any country.

• Upvote 2

This from Baseball America: Looks like Yoshida is not eligible, unless BA's info is no longer valid from the article's date of March 28, 2023.

Players classified as “foreign professionals” by MLB are ineligible for PPI draft picks. This year, Mets righthander Kodai Senga and Red Sox outfielder Masataka Yoshida are classified as foreign professionals by MLB. Neither would have qualified for a PPI draft pick anyway, because they appeared only on the BA Top 100.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to locate the Prospect Promotion Incentive plan in regards to players that finish 2nd or 3rd in the ROY voting.  I did see some outdated info regarding getting an International Draft pick, but that was later scrapped, as the owners and union could not reach an agreement on an International Draft.

Can anyone help with this?