AL Rookie of the Year Watch

Aristotelian

I think the RoY race is just getting started.   History shows that a strong finish, and contributing to a playoff push, are big factors in choosing RoY.  See: Al Bumbry, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken.  None of them would have been RoY if the vote had been taken on July 19.  

I think Gunnar is a pretty special athlete and I’m optimistic about him having a very strong final 68 games.  

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've been trying to locate the Prospect Promotion Incentive plan in regards to players that finish 2nd or 3rd in the ROY voting.  I did see some outdated info regarding getting an International Draft pick, but that was later scrapped, as the owners and union could not reach an agreement on an International Draft.

Can anyone help with this?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the plan they settled on is only the top ROY team gets a pick, nothing for 2 or 3 (which is why we got nothing for Adley last year). Google is really bad on the CBA because there were so many leaks of proposals at different points in the process.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As of today, not only are the O's in first place, Gunnar has taken the WAR lead over Jung, with Gunnar up a tick to 2.6 and Jung down a tick to 2.5. Let the good times roll!

Didn't I just see a Rookie Dodger with fabulous numbers?

*** Update*** I was snapped out of my trance and understand that's NL... thanks everyone.

Edited by Fan4Life

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the plan they settled on is only the top ROY team gets a pick, nothing for 2 or 3 (which is why we got nothing for Adley last year). Google is really bad on the CBA because there were so many leaks of proposals at different points in the process.

Adley wasn't eligible for a draft pick even if he won RoY.

He was both injured and started the season in the minors once he was healthy.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:08 PM, Aristotelian said:

If there was an International Draft, the eligible team would get a supplemental pick in that draft if an eligible player finished second or third.

Of course, there is not yet an International Draft, so the Orioles won't get anything if Gunnar finishes second.

Gunnar is going to take the ROY just like he took 3B last night.  Doesn’t matter what the other guys do, Gunnar is gonna do Gunnar. What a hell of a player!  The tools just keep appearing.  The competitive nature, drive, focus, and attention to detail are insane.  PAY THE MAN NOW!! 

Remember when people wanted to send him down after a few weeks?