Sunday, June 25: Rubber match vs Mariners

SteveA

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Give me some pitchers you think are number 2's and I'll show you guys who aren't averaging 6IP+ per game. Very few do that. We don't have a single pitcher in our rotation who does that. I said he's a 2-3 and I stand by that. This is a 26-year-old with 182 IP in his career, label him a 5 and dive going forward but like a lot of your stuff, it would be shortsighted.

Did I say what he would be going forward? Or is that you reading into what I actually said? I have no idea what he will be going forward as I do not possess a crystal ball or a future prediction machine. I stated what I think that he is right now.

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hate to use silly things like facts, but before today's game Bradish was averaging around 5 1/3 innings per start (excluding his first start in TX that was cut short by the ankle injury).

A pitcher averaging 5 and 1/3 innings per start is the exact definition of a "5 and dive" pitcher. 

You seem to love Bradish which is cool. But let's not go overboard calling him a #2 pitcher.

Teams are aware of the TTTOP.  They don't generally want pitchers out there past the fifth.  That's what the game has become.  

There has been exactly one season in this millennium that had a pitcher throw double digit complete games.  Pretty often the league leader throws 2-3.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Teams are aware of the TTTOP.  They don't generally want pitchers out there past the fifth.  That's what the game has become.  

There has been exactly one season in this millennium that had a pitcher throw double digit complete games.  Pretty often the league leader throws 2-3.

Stop using silly things like advanced metrics and use facts instead please.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get the mindset that additional information is somehow a bad thing.

More data is a good thing.

When the data can accurately predict things.  I used to handicap horses but I did it because I liked fooling with data more than the gambling.  

But that's not my beef.  Pulling out numbers as the final arbiter of sports discussions is bull.  Opinions may vary.  

4 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

When the data can accurately predict things.  I used to handicap horses but I did it because I liked fooling with data more than the gambling.  

But that's not my beef.  Pulling out numbers as the final arbiter of sports discussions is bull.  Opinions may vary.  

Give me numbers over "Frazier looks good out there on defense" any day of the week.

I prefer not being deceived by a player's smooth gait into thinking he's faster than he actually is.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Give me numbers over "Frazier looks good out there on defense" any day of the week.

I prefer not being deceived by a player's smooth gait into thinking he's faster than he actually is.

I wasn't addressing this argument.  I don't have a dog in this fight.