Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

Today was tough with the ****ing Marlins. Missed two.

Spoiler

Jeff King, Miss, Bobby Bonilla

Aroldis Chapman, Miss, Juan Gonzale

Jeremy Guthrie, Tanner Scott, Albert Belle

One thing I've learned, don't submit a player until you've made sure he can't be placed in a harder square.  Bonilla would have been better for the Pirates/Marlins square.  

Edited by Moose Milligan

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Today was tough with the ****ing Marlins. Missed two.

Reveal hidden contents

Jeff King, Miss, Bobby Bonilla

Aroldis Chapman, Miss, Juan Gonzale

Jeremy Guthrie, Tanner Scott, Albert Belle

One thing I've learned, don't submit a player until you've made sure he can't be placed in a harder square.  Bonilla would have been better for the Pirates/Marlins square.  

Missed 1…can’t believe McCutcheon didn’t drive in 100 runs while in Pitt.

Missed one today.  Cleveland/Cinci proved to be a problem, although I feel like it shouldn't have been.  Two teams that have been around forever with plenty of players.

Brett Butler, Miss, Kenny Lofton

Orlando Cepeda, Tom Seaver, Carl Yaz

Willie Mays, Pete Rose, Ichiro

Cepeda was random, but I've always had a weird interest in guys that are all-time greats (or close to it) and that bounced around to random teams at the end of their careers.  That's how I got Seaver, he looked kind of weird in a Red Sox uniform.  Steve Carlton looked weird in a Chi-Sox uniform, Giants uniform, Indians uniform.  I always thought it was funny that Joe Morgan bounced around to the Astros, Phillies, Giants and Athletics at the end. 

Trevor Bauer, Buddy Bell, Aaron Boone, Yankees hitting coach Sean Casey, Delino DeShields, Edwin Encarnacion, Tony f'ing Fernandez, Reggie Jefferson, Arthur Rhodes, are all names that I'm kind of kicking myself over.

I never would have got RANDY MILLIGAN as having played for both teams.  19 games with the Indians in '93, 83 games with the Reds in '93, too.

I missed one. I have almost no idea about who did or didn't win Rookie of the Year, so I whiffed on the Giants ROY. I guessed Monte Irvin, which obviously was wrong.

Spoiler

Joe Carter, Sean Casey, Shoeless Joe Jackson

Pablo Sandoval, Bernie Carbo, Shea Hillenbrand

Miss, Jonathan India, Ichiro Suzuki

I'm proudest of remembering Hillenbrand, who was a 0.05% guess. I just remember him coming along at the start of the Moneyball era being the poster child for "Hey look at this guy, we now know it's possible for a player to hit .300 and still suck big time if they don't walk and have no power."

Missed the first one out of the gate today.  40+ homers for the Nats, Adam Dunn was the first that came to mind...nope, hit 38 in back to back seasons.

303 rarity score.

Spoiler

Juan Soto, blank, Bryce Harper

Steve Garvey, Mike Davis, Cody Bellinger

Fred McGriff, Orlando Cepeda, Hank Aaron

Cepeda got .1%, Davis got .9%.  For A's/Dodgers all I could think of was the '88 Series but I knew Mike Davis was the one that got the walk to get Gibson up in Game 1. He had a horrific OBP that year and Eck didn't walk anyone but somehow he walked Davis.  He played for Oakland before the '88 series, went to LA and won a ring against Oakland the very next year.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Missed one today.  Cleveland/Cinci proved to be a problem, although I feel like it shouldn't have been.  

Oh, Moose, Moose, Moose….

There was this guy named Frank Robinson who played 10 years for Cincinnati and later was the first African-American major league manager while still playing for Cleveland.  

My soul aches!

FWiW, I almost never complete the grid correctly (3 times in about 6 weeks of playing), but I got that one, with my personal best score of 83, more then half of which came from guessing Pablo Sandoval for SF/Boston.  I was shocked that 43% used that answer.  When I first thought of him, all I could come up with was “The Panda.”   Took me like 20 minutes to shake his name from my memory banks.   

I had some awesome answers on the .300 hitters:

Cleveland: Lou Boudreau (my mother’s favorite player), 0.8%.

Boston: Dom DiMaggio, 0.5%.

Rookie of the Year/.300: Al Bumbry, 0.07%.  

It pays to know the old guys!   Also, the franchises that used to be in a different city or even under a different name.  Like all the 1961-71 Washington Senators will work for questions about the Rangers, whereas the old Expos will work for the Nats.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh, Moose, Moose, Moose….

There was this guy named Frank Robinson who played 10 years for Cincinnati and later was the first African-American major league manager while still playing for Cleveland.  

My soul aches!

FWiW, I almost never complete the grid correctly (3 times in about 6 weeks of playing), but I got that one, with my personal best score of 83, more then half of which came from guessing Pablo Sandoval for SF/Boston.  I was shocked that 43% used that answer.  When I first thought of him, all I could come up with was “The Panda.”   Took me like 20 minutes to shake his name from my memory banks.   

I had some awesome answers on the .300 hitters:

Cleveland: Lou Boudreau (my mother’s favorite player), 0.8%.

Boston: Dom DiMaggio, 0.5%.

Rookie of the Year/.300: Al Bumbry, 0.07%.  

It pays to know the old guys!   Also, the franchises that used to be in a different city or even under a different name.  Like all the 1961-71 Washington Senators will work for questions about the Rangers, whereas the old Expos will work for the Nats.  

That's the thing about this game.  I can remember Greg Vaughn, Frank Viola and Gary Pettis like 5 times each but I whiffed on Frank Robinson and the Reds/Indians connection.  It's got a way of making you feel really smart and incredibly stupid at the same time.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Today’s is vastly easier than any other day. 
⚾️ Immaculate Grid 125 9/9:
Rarity: 35
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Today's was easy and I was cruising along until.....

I tried to place Mike Trout in the middle square for Gold Glove/Silver Slugger award.  I thought this was a layup and for some reason he was the first player that came to mind.  While he has won nine Silver Slugger awards, Mike Trout has not won a Gold Glove.  And while that doesn't surprise me in recent years, I thought he had earlier in his career.

Anyway, my rarity score was 158.

Ted Williams 19%, Willie Mays 16%, Mel Ott 5%

George Brett 3%, Miss, Cal Ripken 5%

Chipper Jones 3%, Barry Bonds 5%, Dennis Eckersley 3%

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Today’s is vastly easier than any other day. 
⚾️ Immaculate Grid 125 9/9:
Rarity: 35
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

If I could read, I would have 9 out of 9. I put my HOF/SS guy in the SS/.300 square by mistake.

Still had a rarity score of 142. That score can change quite a bit throughout the day as more people play.

My SS row combined for 7.8%