Do you trust Elias at the Deadline?

lifelongbirdfan

In a similar vein to what @sportsfan8703 posted about a SP/RP package with the Cards, here are some other teams in a 'traditional sellers' demographic who could help both roles.  I didn't include some who I think they won't trade.

Cards:  Montgomery/Flaherty and Hicks/Gallegos/Stratton

Cubs:  Stroman/Hendricks and Fulmer/Leiter/Merryweather - Leiter/Merryweather are under team control but have checkered history.

Rockies:  Freeland and Suter/Lawrence/Hand

Pirates:  Hill and Bednar/Ramirez,/Holderman/Moreta - All of the RPs is under team control and would be more costly.  I don't think the Pirates will trade Keller because they are close to competing.  If Cruz would have stayed healthy this year, it might have been this year.  

Red Sox:  Sales/Paxton and Jansen/Martin - Sales/Jansen/Martin are through 2024.

White Sox:  Cease/Gio/Kopech and Graverman/Middleton - Cease/Graverman are under team control and Kopech has a shoulder issue.  

Tigers:  ERod/Lorenzen and Lange/Cisnero - Lange is under team control.

Angels:  Ohtani/Sandoval and Esteves/Loup/Barria - No comment on Ohtani, but keep in touch with his market.  Sandoval/Esteves/Barria all have various levels of team control.  

Padres:  Lugo/Snell/Wacha and Hader/Martinez/Honeywell/Garcia - Matinez/Honeywell has some team control.  They've stated they aren't selling, but we'll see...  

On paper, I don't think the Mariners will trade an SP.  But DiPoto's a bit of a wildcard...  Maybe he'll eat some of Castillo's contract.

Teams that fit the "seller" criteria but I doubt the O's interest in their players/cost:  Royals, Athletics, Nationals.

We have to figure out what we have in Grayson. Also, then we have to take into account that Wells, Grayson, Bradish, and Kremer, are all on pace to go well past their previous career high in IP in a season. What are the innings limits?  

What would it take to get the two Jordans from St Louis?  They only have two top 100 prospects and a pretty vet lineup. Their top prospect is a SS in AAA that is currently ranked higher than Ortiz. So I think that takes Ortiz off the table.  After looking at their team makeup, I would think they’d be interested in Povich. 

Is Povich enough to land the two rental Jordans?  Would Elias trade pitching?

15 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

In a similar vein to what @sportsfan8703 posted about a SP/RP package with the Cards, here are some other teams in a 'traditional sellers' demographic who could help both roles.  I didn't include some who I think they won't trade.

Cards:  Montgomery/Flaherty and Hicks/Gallegos/Stratton

Cubs:  Stroman/Hendricks and Fulmer/Leiter/Merryweather - Leiter/Merryweather are under team control but have checkered history.

Rockies:  Freeland and Suter/Lawrence/Hand

Pirates:  Hill and Bednar/Ramirez,/Holderman/Moreta - All of the RPs is under team control and would be more costly.  I don't think the Pirates will trade Keller because they are close to competing.  If Cruz would have stayed healthy this year, it might have been this year.  

Red Sox:  Sales/Paxton and Jansen/Martin - Sales/Jansen/Martin are through 2024.

White Sox:  Cease/Gio/Kopech and Graverman/Middleton - Cease/Graverman are under team control and Kopech has a shoulder issue.  

Tigers:  ERod/Lorenzen and Lange/Cisnero - Lange is under team control.

Angels:  Ohtani/Sandoval and Esteves/Loup/Barria - No comment on Ohtani, but keep in touch with his market.  Sandoval/Esteves/Barria all have various levels of team control.  

Padres:  Lugo/Snell/Wacha and Hader/Martinez/Honeywell/Garcia - Matinez/Honeywell has some team control.  They've stated they aren't selling, but we'll see...  

On paper, I don't think the Mariners will trade an SP.  But DiPoto's a bit of a wildcard...  Maybe he'll eat some of Castillo's contract.

Teams that fit the "seller" criteria but I doubt the O's interest in their players/cost:  Royals, Athletics, Nationals.

Thanks for taking the time to gather all of this.

Kyle Freeland is a local kid for COL and it doesn't look like they'll consider trading him. My guess is someone overpays for ERod so that knocks us out there. Montgomery feels like a fit for us. Personally I don't think we add a rental even if the prospect cost is really low but if we do, Lance Lynn might be a target. He's having a lousy year this year but maybe they've spotted a correction he could make.  

On 7/4/2023 at 9:52 AM, Bemorewins said:

Who doesn’t want to spend wisely? I know I do. And I’m sure the Mets and Padres wished they did.

The point that you made about a steady rise in payroll is what I’m very skeptical of. There was a dramatic improvement in the wins and losses last year, but no meaningful change/increase in the payroll. Instead we got the bargain basement 1 deals for mediocre to below average players. No extensions and really no serious attempts to do any. John Angelos almost acted like it was off putting to him when someone asked him about extending Adley.

I’m not saying that you are doing this (because I don’t believe that you are) but it baffles me that Orioles fans who live in this community and have had to suffer under this awful regime would justify and seemingly support the actions of the It truly baffles me.

I’m not going to argue with you too hard, because the truth is I don’t know what the Angelos family will do.  We might as well argue about what the weather will be on this day next year.  

Still, payroll is up $23 mm in 2023, and when I look at our last competitive run, payroll basically doubled from 2012 to 2016.   John Angelos may run things differently than his dad did, and Elias may run things differently than Duquette did, so I’m not saying I expect the same thing here.  I’m just saying I don’t rule it out and I don’t think anything we’ve seen so far precludes that type of scenario.