Kjerstad and Ortiz

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Given Elias and Company's demonstrated bias against prospect pitchers, Cowser and Kjerstad would undoubtedly be a non-starter especially if the trade was even close to even-up  That being said, I wouldn't mind having either of those pitchers to go along with Rodriguez.

I was only trying to set expectations that Cleveland is not going to give away Williams who has been ranked higher with a similar FV to Cowser or Bibee who has been ranked with a similar FV to Cowser for Kyle Stowers plus. I wouldn’t touch Espino. He has had significant injuries for the last 2 years. 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad has gone to AAA and hasn’t missed a beat. He is hitting righties and lefties. He is hitting for a high average and walking a lot. He just really isn’t showing any red flags. Now, he only has about 100 PA in AAA so far, so there is still time to give him at bats down there if you want but the reality is that he is probably ready to be up.

HK update. In AA over 184 ABs his line was: 

.310 .383 .576 .959  

In AAA over 93 ABs his line is: 

.323 .414 .602 1.016

In July over 19 ABs in 5 games his line is:  

.421 .520

.737 1.257

Really freaking amazing what he has done in a little over 1 year playing (June 10 in A+ last year). What is the Gunnar limit on ABs to maintain rookie status next year, like 149 ABs or am I mis-remembering? HK could have another 100 ABs by mid August. Four BBs and 1 HBP in 19 July ABs and he still hits. He is on a mission.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Really freaking amazing what he has done in a little over 1 year playing (June 10 in A+ last year). What is the Gunnar limit on ABs to maintain rookie status next year, like 149 ABs or am I mis-remembering? HK could have another 100 ABs by mid August. Four BBs and 1 HBP in 19 July ABs and he still hits. He is on a mission.

129 AB's and you are good, on AB 130 you bust.

As a shorthand, the exact Gunnar 8/31 debut calendar date should still be a decent yardstick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Kjerstad is going to be a Palmeiro-level bat. That's my hail mary half court shot and I'm sticking to it. I think he might be the best pure hitter we've seen come up through the system since, I dunno, Boog. 

And no I will not be backing this up with data or facts. Lol. This is a pure gut call. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Kjerstad is going to be a Palmeiro-level bat. That's my hail mary half court shot and I'm sticking to it. I think he might be the best pure hitter we've seen come up through the system since, I dunno, Boog. 

Frobby will probably provide some Nick M context but I agree with you. Just looking at the videos of his ABs, when he gets into one the OF just jogs or watches it go. He has sneaky speed and if their is a slight misplay he is on third and not winded. In the box he just looks dialed in, just throw the damn ball. Eddie was always my fav, he was just menacing when he was hot. HK just looks like he is on a mission to cram 2 years of development into one and get to the show this year. That bat is special. I expect Mayo to join HK in AAA soon so thru the end of August in Norfolk is going to be special.

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

And no I will not be backing this up with data or facts. Lol. This is a pure gut call. 

So you think Boog is the best pure hitter to come through our system in the last 60 years?  Interesting.  He’s certainly up there, with a career OPS+ of 134.  I think I’d have to go with Eddie, who only had a 129 career OPS+, but that’s because he was good enough to hang around after age 35, while Boog was not.  Through age 35, Eddie was at 138 OPS+.

Even though I believe that Kjerstad is ready to come to the big leagues. I also understand that the org has to space out how many guys come at once for contract purposes. Given that ownership does not appear to be proactive about extending guys early, you can't have everyone hitting FA at once. Already this year we have Gunnar and maybe Westburg who will be accruing a year. I'm not sure how it will work with Cowser. But I don't think we can add all those guys at once.

Now even if Westburg and Cowser won't get a year this year that counts toward the 6 years, that will still add them to next year's tab so to speak along with Kjerstad. Elias has to try to spread them out some. 

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

So you think he will be better than Manny with the bat? If he is even at Manny's level, I will glady take that given all of the other guys that will be hitting around him.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you think Boog is the best pure hitter to come through our system in the last 60 years?  Interesting.  He’s certainly up there, with a career OPS+ of 134.  I think I’d have to go with Eddie, who only had a 129 career OPS+, but that’s because he was good enough to hang around after age 35, while Boog was not.  Through age 35, Eddie was at 138 OPS+.

I sorta just threw a name out who I knew wasn't a Hall of Famer haha. But sure, I'd go Eddie over Boog. 

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So you think he will be better than Manny with the bat? If he is even at Manny's level, I will glady take that given all of the other guys that will be hitting around him.

Yeah I absolutely do. I don't know if he'll ever be as valuable a player as Manny, but I think he'll be a more consistent hitter.

Dude just looks like he's not even trying out there. Every level of the minors has been the same for him with barely any adjustment period following promotions. He can hit for average, he has all-fields power, he can walk. The guy is made to win Silver Slugger awards. He's a true MOO bat unlike any we have developed in a long, long time. We've developed some guys with plenty of power, but I can't recall the last honest-to-god middle of the order slugger we've brought up. This is that guy, and he's neither the low-OBP power bat nor the 3-true-outcomes bat. It's the whole package. 

If he is the guy I believe he is, it's the type of homegrown bat we haven't seen for literally decades. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

FA - Frazier, Hicks

Out of options - McKenna, Mateo, Urias

Non tender - Mountcastle

Trade bait - Santander

I think we see all of the above players gone before next year.  Even if it means trading them for prospects.  Why keep players with zero options for next year?  Mountcastle has a lot of prove, and it’s not looking good for him.  We should trade Santander for the best deal.

Wells, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Kremer 

Bautista, Cano, Baumann, Baker, Columbe, Hall, Irvin/Zimmerman

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Hays R LF

5. O’Hearn L 1B

6. Westburg R 2B

7. Cowser L RF

8. Ortiz R SS

9. Kjerstad L DH

Norby, Stowers, McCann, Prieto/Haskin

That team is dirt cheap. Ultra talented. Positonal flexible. O’Hearn emerging makes it easier to trade Santander. Plus Kjerstad and Mayo having monster years. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I absolutely do. I don't know if he'll ever be as valuable a player as Manny, but I think he'll be a more consistent hitter.

Dude just looks like he's not even trying out there. Every level of the minors has been the same for him with barely any adjustment period following promotions. He can hit for average, he has all-fields power, he can walk. The guy is made to win Silver Slugger awards. He's a true MOO bat unlike any we have developed in a long, long time. We've developed some guys with plenty of power, but I can't recall the last honest-to-god middle of the order slugger we've brought up. This is that guy, and he's neither the low-OBP power bat nor the 3-true-outcomes bat. It's the whole package. 

If he is the guy I believe he is, it's the type of homegrown bat we haven't seen for literally decades. 

I hope that we you are saying is true! 

I think Manny's bat has been borderline elite. But if Kjerstad is in the top tier, I will be elated. I read before that it is believed that he could have Schwarber like power potential. I even heard Elias say that he thinks that Kjerstad has true 40 homer a year potential.

If you add that to all that we already have, we might be the Atlanta Braves of the AL for the next 5/6 years in terms of an elite top 3 offense consistently.

I know that Holliday doesn't have the power tool like Kjerstad, but how would you compare/rate their hit tools?

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

FA - Frazier, Hicks

Out of options - McKenna, Mateo, Urias

Non tender - Mountcastle

Trade bait - Santander

I think we see all of the above players gone before next year.  Even if it means trading them for prospects.  Why keep players with zero options for next year?  Mountcastle has a lot of prove, and it’s not looking good for him.  We should trade Santander for the best deal.

Wells, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Kremer 

Bautista, Cano, Baumann, Baker, Columbe, Hall, Irvin/Zimmerman

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Hays R LF

5. O’Hearn L 1B

6. Westburg R 2B

7. Cowser L RF

8. Ortiz R SS

9. Kjerstad L DH

Norby, Stowers, McCann, Prieto/Haskin

That team is dirt cheap. Ultra talented. Positonal flexible. O’Hearn emerging makes it easier to trade Santander. Plus Kjerstad and Mayo having monster years. 

Why in the world would we be batting Kjerstad last behind Ortiz?

From everything that I have seen and read about him, he has the true MOO profile.