2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I'm concerned about the swing, and exploitable holes.  I know the O's have all kinds of professional hitting coaches who can try to work on it with him.  But we took a very high draft pick SS a few years ago Cadyn Grenier who needed a swing overhaul and that failed miserably.  Now we are trying it with Dylan Beavers, another very high draft pick needing a swing fix.  So far, not very impressive results at A ball.   Now we'll need to overhaul Bradfield's swing....

Not sure I like the risk in this pick considering who else we may have selected...

Who would you have selected?    How’s your track record?     Grenier was a different regime.  Someone pointed out that Beavers is trending way up over the last month.    Still no benefit of the doubt even though they are proven right and you are proven wrong 90% of the time?    Some of you guys kill me.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who would you have selected?    How’s your track record?     Grenier was a different regime.  Someone pointed out that Beavers is trending way up over the last month.    Still no benefit of the doubt even though they are proven right and you are proven wrong 90% of the time?    Some of you guys kill me.

By no means am I a professional scout and I will defer to expert's judgment.  I'd have probably taken Brock Wilken or Arjun Nimmala, but I readily admit I would not have taken Kjerstad, or Cowser.  I might have even been dumb enough to take Witt Jr over Rutchman and Druw Jones over Jackson Holliday.  

But I am leery of guys who need their swing overhauled...  

21 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

By no means am I a professional scout and I will defer to expert's judgment.  I'd have probably taken Brock Wilken or Arjun Nimmala, but I readily admit I would not have taken Kjerstad, or Cowser.  I might have even been dumb enough to take Witt Jr over Rutchman and Druw Jones over Jackson Holliday.  

But I am leery of guys who need their swing overhauled...  

Continue to be leery.  Almost every hitter drafted needs to make some adjustments or changes.   Cowser tapped into his power after showing none at Delmarva.   Not sure an overhaul is needed.   Beavers is the one guy we drafted with the most unorthodox swing mechanics.   I don’t think Bradfield’s are all that odd.   Saw some video of Bradfield pulling homers and going oppo.  He’s got a flat swing but he’s no 99 pound weakling.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Continue to be leery.  Almost every hitter drafted needs to make some adjustments or changes.   Cowser tapped into his power after showing none at Delmarva.   Not sure an overhaul is needed.   Beavers is the one guy we drafted with the most unorthodox swing mechanics.   I don’t think Bradfield’s are all that odd.   Saw some video of Bradfield pulling homers and going oppo.  He’s got a flat swing but he’s no 99 pound weakling.

I don't think he's weak either.  He looks lean, but muscular.  I did hear his throwing arm is weak-ish...

Might be interesting if he could add 5-10 lbs of muscle.  But my guess is the trainers and diet people at Vanderbilt would have done so if they could...

2 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I don't think he's weak either.  He looks lean, but muscular.  I did hear his throwing arm is weak-ish...

Might be interesting if he could add 5-10 lbs of muscle.  But my guess is the trainers and diet people at Vanderbilt would have done so if they could...

He’s also still only 21.5 years old. I agree he was already getting top notch trainers/dieticians at Vanderbilt, but he’s still due for some additional filling out over the course of the next couple years just by virtue of his age. He’s not short by any means so he can definitely comfortably add some more weight onto his frame. 

7 minutes ago, Stotle said:

He just needs to square the ball up more regularly.

Sig has data and decision/bio science from Frazier and Prieto to work into Bradfield!  

Is it fair to say you're more in the "Juan Pierre" camp than the "Kenny Lofton" camp as far as comps go?  Certainly things change and develop (it wouldn't be life otherwise), but just based on what you've seen (setting aside any developmental plans)?

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Sig has data and decision/bio science from Frazier and Prieto to work into Bradfield!  

Is it fair to say you're more in the "Juan Pierre" camp than the "Kenny Lofton" camp as far as comps go?  Certainly things change and develop (it wouldn't be life otherwise), but just based on what you've seen (setting aside any developmental plans)?

I think he's more physical than Pierre and probably not the pure hitter Pierre was. He's also likely to be a much better defender than Pierre was, so the comp doesn't really fit for me.

This will probably sound weird but I think of Lofton as little broader in the waist and shoulders, but I do think there is similar power potential with Bradfield. I think RZNJ said it earlier -- 30ish doubles and 10+ HR per year (toss in 5-10 triples?), and you are really cooking with gas. I think if he hits 260-275 with enough pop to keep pitchers honest and work a 80-to-100-ish OBP delta year-to-year then he'll be on base frequently enough for his speed to become impact.

I'd say Lofton is the 95% outcome (and it's tough for me to see Bradfield as a peak-year Lofton when Kenny was like a 6-7 win player and hitting like .315-.330) and a fair "hope" is less-than-peak defensive Kiermaier seasons (so like a 2-3 win player?). If that bat doesn't flop then there should be enough defensive value to get there, though from my looks I don't see quite the glove that Kiermaier has, though EBJ has the wheels to cover tons of ground and is a good finisher, Kiermaier is more athletic in my mind when it comes to making the truly incredible catch (or at least he was earlier in his career).

That's a big range that hinges heavily on some pop coming. Also keep in mind D-value with shifts can be a tougher place to get BIG value bumps.

Edited by Stotle
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Now we are trying it with Dylan Beavers, another very high draft pick needing a swing fix.  So far, not very impressive results at A ball.   Now we'll need to overhaul Bradfield's swing....

If nothing else, I think this tells us that we'll need to be a little patient with this kid. I look for him to be a top guy, assuming improvement, in 2+ years rather than right away.

2 hours ago, Stotle said:

30ish doubles and 10+ HR per year (toss in 5-10 triples?), and you are really cooking with gas. I think if he hits 260-275 with enough pop to keep pitchers honest and work a 80-to-100-ish OBP delta year-to-year then he'll be on base frequently enough for his speed to become impact.

This is exactly what I have been saying. Doesn’t have to hit 20+ homers but 50ish XBH and that will continue to cause pitchers to not just challenge him all the time, ala guys like Sisco and Vavra.

If he does that, he will be a 4+ WAR GG level CFer…basically a younger and cheaper version of what Mullins has been the last few years.

Of course, a game changer for Mullins was hitting lefties better.  Not sure if that’s been an issue for Bradfield or not but it’s something that likely will determine if he can be an everyday player or not.

Edited by Sports Guy

On 7/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, emmett16 said:

A friend of mine plays for Vandy so I have had the chance to see Enrique play a bunch in person and have watched dozens of games and even more highlights.  I’m absolutely thrilled with this pick.

1. The man is a hard worker and is driven.

2. He is a joy to watch.  He does something every game that will make you shake your head. 

3. He has power.  Watch him hit in BP and watch what happens when he squares it up.  The ball goes.  I’ve seen him with oppo pop and pull pop.  His game power hasn’t quite emerged, but it’s in there.  

4. His swing is kind of a function of his speed.  If he can get the ball in play, it’s been a hit the majority of his career because of his other worldly speed.  I’ve seen him beat out a routine ground ball to second base.

4a. He can hit.  He will hit the ball to all fields.  He had a great eye and walks more than he Ks.  

5. Because of his mental make-up I’m confident the Os Dev team can work on his swing and get the most out of it.

6. CF in OPACY doesn’t dictate an overly strong arm.  See Mullins. But OF in Camden dictates speed and range.

7. Short porch in RF will exaggerate his currently limited in game power.

8. Kid is an incredible teammate.  Following him on IG you’ll see him constantly building up his teammates.  

I can’t wait to watch him patrol CF at OPACY.  

Since you have apparently seen both, is his arm weaker than Mullins'?

2 minutes ago, panick said:

Since you have apparently seen both, is his arm weaker than Mullins'?

It is weaker than Mullins.  Reminds me of when Cedric came into the league.  Imagine he will be tested and he will need to find a way to counter people running on him. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, emmett16 said:

A friend of mine plays for Vandy so I have had the chance to see Enrique play a bunch in person and have watched dozens of games and even more highlights.  I’m absolutely thrilled with this pick.

1. The man is a hard worker and is driven.

2. He is a joy to watch.  He does something every game that will make you shake your head. 

3. He has power.  Watch him hit in BP and watch what happens when he squares it up.  The ball goes.  I’ve seen him with oppo pop and pull pop.  His game power hasn’t quite emerged, but it’s in there.  

4. His swing is kind of a function of his speed.  If he can get the ball in play, it’s been a hit the majority of his career because of his other worldly speed.  I’ve seen him beat out a routine ground ball to second base.

4a. He can hit.  He will hit the ball to all fields.  He had a great eye and walks more than he Ks.  

5. Because of his mental make-up I’m confident the Os Dev team can work on his swing and get the most out of it.

6. CF in OPACY doesn’t dictate an overly strong arm.  See Mullins. But OF in Camden dictates speed and range.

7. Short porch in RF will exaggerate his currently limited in game power.

8. Kid is an incredible teammate.  Following him on IG you’ll see him constantly building up his teammates.  

I can’t wait to watch him patrol CF at OPACY.  

I immediately thought of you when we drafted Bradfield. 

For the benefit of others:

• Like 1