2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

37 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Watching a team get on base is so much fun and so different. He walks a ton. 

It is the starkest difference between this team and basically every Orioles team I can remember my entire life.

They swing at strikes and (generally) don’t swing at many balls. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be surprised if he signs for less. He was rumored to go higher in some mocks.

He’s not going to go back to college.

The slot value is 4.1M. I say he signs  for 3-3.5M and if they offer him that, there is no way he goes back to college.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It is the starkest difference between this team and basically every Orioles team I can remember my entire life.

Very refreshing.  

I like that Bradfield walks more than he strikes out, he should fit in well.

I thought the Kenny Lofton comps were interesting but he looks bigger and stronger than Lofton ever did.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not going to go back to college.

The slot value is 4.1M. I say he signs  for 3-3.5M and if they offer him that, there is no way he goes back to college.

He could lose value next season if he returns.  The benefit for the Os would be they would receive pick 1:18 in the 2024 draft (forecasting).

25 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

A lot of similarities. Iirc Mullins was a 60 speed. Bradfield is a lot faster. 

Mullins was one of the fastest players in the majors when he first came up.  Definitely a 70.   This guy is faster, but I care more about whether he can do the things that maximize the value of his speed.  

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I basically agree with you (without knowing how old you are) but the '70 O's (Buford, Rettenmund) and late 70's to early 80's teams (Murray, Singleton, Roenicke/Lowenstein) come to mind as good OBP teams too. (Good for those 3-run homers!)

The whole “future lineup” thing can be a bit silly because prospects don’t always pan out…but if they did…

1. Cowser (L) - RF/LF

2. Adley (S) - C

3. Gunnar (L) - 3B/SS

4. Mayo (R) - 1B/DH

5. Kjerstad (L) - DH/RF

6. Westburg (R) - 2B/3B/1B

7. Holliday (L) - SS/2B

8. Fabian (R) - LF/CF

9. Bradfield Jr. (L) - CF/LF

If these guys hit their upside that’s a deep and balanced lineup with elite defense. And add in Ortiz off the bench as SS and pushing Holliday to 2B and Westburg into more of a UTIL role, that’s potentially elite defenders at every single position (including 1B with Westburg?).  Whew. 

• Upvote 1

Elias didn't see Bradfield in person, but had lots of video and television broadcasts at his disposal. He believes that Bradfield profiles as a leadoff hitter, and said the club benefited from the draft's depth, especially with college position players.

"Ordinarily, I think a guy like Enrique goes in the top 15 picks, if not higher than that," Elias said.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-select-xx-in-first-round-of-draft

I guess they didn’t expect him to make it to them or they were surprised how many guys they thought would fall to them didn’t. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins was one of the fastest players in the majors when he first came up.  Definitely a 70.   This guy is faster, but I care more about whether he can do the things that maximize the value of his speed.  

Baseball Prospectus had him a 60. 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=279

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Elias didn't see Bradfield in person, but had lots of video and television broadcasts at his disposal. He believes that Bradfield profiles as a leadoff hitter, and said the club benefited from the draft's depth, especially with college position players.

"Ordinarily, I think a guy like Enrique goes in the top 15 picks, if not higher than that," Elias said.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-select-xx-in-first-round-of-draft

I guess they didn’t expect him to make it to them or they were surprised how many guys they thought would fall to them didn’t. 

Elias talked a bit before the draft about how he was hands off this year and leaving it up to his scouts since you can't accurately predict who is going to be available at 17 like you can at 1/2/5/1.

This is why I personally like to refer to the front office as the front office and not as Mike Elias. He's not the only one who deserves credit for what this system has turned into.