Anyone know why MLB does not allow for trading of draft picks?

I think the original rationale was that the rich teams would "buy" the top picks in lopsided trades that had financial benefits for the poorer teams, thus defeating the purpose of allowing bad teams to draft high.   Perhaps a little paternalistic, but you can see the logic.  Nowadays, drafted players can be traded the winter after they are drafted, so they've almost gotten to the point of allowing picks to be traded.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Stupidity 

There would need to be some control, would not like to see a team avoid drafting and paying high dollars to increase profits, while trading with a highly profitable team buying first round draft picks every year.

1 minute ago, Since1984 said:

There would need to be some control, would not like to see a team avoid drafting and paying high dollars to increase profits, while trading with a highly profitable team buying first round draft picks every year.

I could see the 2018 Orioles bundling one or more draft picks to dump salary.

Would a team have taken the Davis contract if it came with the 2019 1-1 pick?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Who cares? If teams trade picks for players or they trade down from 1 to 8 to gain more picks, why should we care? If there was a sport where they should be allowed to be traded, it’s baseball, since most picks never even see the majors.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Who cares? If teams trade picks for players or they trade down from 1 to 8 to gain more picks, why should we care? If there was a sport where they should be allowed to be traded, it’s baseball, since most picks never even see the majors.

So you would have who cared if the O's had bundled 1-1 and 2-1 in the 2019 draft to get out from the Davis contract?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you would have who cared if the O's had bundled 1-1 and 2-1 in the 2019 draft to get out from the Davis contract?

Well, I don’t own or work for the Orioles, so my opinion doesn’t matter.

Would I care?  Sure. But it should be within the right of the team to make that decision. I mean, you can do that anyway. You don’t need to trade the puck. They could have dealt Adley and Davis. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I don’t own or work for the Orioles, so my opinion doesn’t matter.

Would I care?  Sure. But it should be within the right of the team to make that decision. I mean, you can do that anyway. You don’t need to trade the puck. They could have dealt Adley and Davis. 

No.

The draft pick would have included the associated pool money.

The pick was worth more than Adley was after he was drafted.

MLB shouldn't be making it easier for owners to choose profitability over competitiveness.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

The draft pick would have included the associated pool money.

The pick was worth more than Adley was after he was drafted.

MLB shouldn't be making it easier for owners to choose profitability over competitiveness.

That’s up to those owners. It’s a business. If they are in it to make as much money as possible, that’s up to them. That right shouldn’t be taken away from them because you feel they have some moral obligation to do the right thing.

I agree that they should but teams tank for years and steal money from the fans, so it’s allowed one way or another.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That’s up to those owners. It’s a business. If they are in it to make as much money as possible, that’s up to them. That right shouldn’t be taken away from them because you feel they have some moral obligation to do the right thing.

I agree that they should but teams tank for years and steal money from the fans, so it’s allowed one way or another.

The other owners have the right to restrict them for the good of their own franchises, which is what they are doing.

Are you suggesting they don't have that right?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The other owners have the right to restrict them for the good of their own franchises, which is what they are doing.

Are you suggesting they don't have that right?

Well first of all, I think you are going Completely overboard with what teams would do with their picks. I think your scenario is total bs and wouldn’t likely happen. Again, teams could just tack on prospects with contracts to move them and that doesn’t get done.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, I think you are going Completely overboard with what teams would do with their picks. I think your scenario is total bs and wouldn’t likely happen. Again, teams could just tack on prospects with contracts to move them and that doesn’t get done.

The Orioles have literally traded draft picks for salary relief under the current system on more than one occasion.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles have literally traded draft picks for salary relief under the current system on more than one occasion.

Yea they have and to take on a few million, a team would do that but I doubt they would take on 100+M to take on an awful player and even if they did, you can make the argument that it’s worth it for the team to do it.