Home Run Derby Thread

OriolesMagic83

12 minutes ago, hutchead said:

I'm sure the father experience was more important to each than winning but it would have been nice to see Adley advance.

Maybe by throwing more deliberately, Adley’s dad gave Adley better pitches to hit than Robert got.  Maybe he gave Adley more time to collect himself and put a good swing on the ball.   

Anyway, I would have mixed feelings about Adley advancing.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just read an article criticizing ESPN for giving too much attention to Adley's sister during his Derby AB. As a result, her social media has blown up astronomically.

I imagine that is quite awkward and uncomfortable for the family.

Did they actually mention his sister other than in passing?  I thought they just wanted to show his family cheering him on since it was already a father/son event.  The only comment I recall was one of the casters saying how he wasn't sure if Adley's mom was cheering on Adley or Randy (his dad.)

44 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Did they actually mention his sister other than in passing?  I thought they just wanted to show his family cheering him on since it was already a father/son event.  The only comment I recall was one of the casters saying how he wasn't sure if Adley's mom was cheering on Adley or Randy (his dad.)

ESPN didn't really mention her by name as far as I can recall, but the article was critical claiming that "ESPN Cameras Fall In Love With Rutschman's Sister" claiming that the cameras showed her 9 times when Adley was batting and Randy was pitching, even when unnecessary. According to the article, at one point, they cut out his mom from the frame. I didn't notice it when I was watching the Home Run Derby because I was too busy cheering every-time Adley blasted a home run.

But all that said, she actually gained more than 4,000 followers in just one night thanks to the Home Run Derby.

The article was by a website named OutKick.

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

ESPN didn't really mention her by name as far as I can recall, but the article was critical claiming that "ESPN Cameras Fall In Love With Rutschman's Sister" claiming that the cameras showed her 9 times when Adley was batting and Randy was pitching, even when unnecessary. According to the article, at one point, they cut out his mom from the frame. I didn't notice it when I was watching the Home Run Derby because I was too busy cheering every-time Adley blasted a home run.

But all that said, she actually gained more than 4,000 followers in just one night thanks to the Home Run Derby.

The article was by a website named OutKick.

The NY Post has an article about her too:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/11/adley-rutschmans-sister-josie-breakout-star-of-home-run-derby/

Also the Sun tabloid:

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8573792/meet-josie-rutschman-mlb-star-sister/