Saturday, July 15: Orioles vs Marlins

SteveA

Just now, mrbig1 said:

I just spend two hours watching the game with my girlfriend.  she is not a baseball fan at all. She is not from Maryland like I am.  I deserve the games MVP for going through two hours of hell.

Frankly it sounds like she deserves MVP more than you.  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Feel like Austin could have tried to keep that alive a little longer if Gurriel was going to tag him. 

I was at the game and was wondering about that.   If it's a tag out instead of a forceout, and the runner from 3rd scores before the tag, the run counts.

Of course Gurriel could just avoid the temptation to tag and just back up to the base and it doesn't matter how long he takes, it's a force and the run would never count.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

I was at the game and was wondering about that.   If it's a tag out instead of a forceout, and the runner from 3rd scores before the tag, the run counts.

Of course Gurriel could just avoid the temptation to tag and just back up to the base and it doesn't matter how long he takes, it's a force and the run would never count.

Run doesn't count either way.  Whether the fielder tags the player or the base in this situation, it is still a force out.

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

On Friday you had said you were going, wondered if you had.  Bet it was a great game to see in person, though equally agonizing with the defense (and starting pitching?) being what they were.

I still think it was the Marlins' stellar hitting abilities that contributed to the downfall of both Gibson and the defense, with the exception of Cowser's gaffe.  Gibson's a groundball pitcher to get himself out of jams - and the balls they hit jammed up the defense behind him (and his ability to field his position too). 

I know others have said it was Gibson not being sharp with his sweeper, and the defense just playing poorly.  But I think there's a reason the Marlins have excelled this season no matter who they're facing.  And again, I think it really speaks well to how Kremer handled them - especially Arraez.   Sure, maybe Gibson could've made it harder for them to get hits, but I bet most of the starters they've faced this year would say that too. 

They're good hitters. 

Anyway, hope you had a good time! I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday, barring rainouts!