Sunday, July 16: Orioles vs Marlins

86this

A couple of compliments.

If the playoffs started next week, I'd be comfortable with Bradish starting the opener. He might be expected to give up a long ball or two (depending on the opposition and the ballpark), but I think he'd  be more likely to keep the Orioles in a low-scoring post-season game than anyone else on the roster or anyone who might be acquired.

Ben McDonald has always been a good color announcer, but he's improved tremendously in his preparation, his knowledge of the opposing team players, guys in the system and draftees as well as Orioles on the current roster, his quick analysis of what a pitcher or batter is about to do, and his clear, concise presentation of his thoughts.

I love listening to Palmer, but some of that is my undying respect for him and my nostalgia for the good old days. Right now, I think Ben is as good as any color guy around. If only he would cut down on the discussions unrelated to the game and to baseball (most of which are initiated by Brown) and lose the screwy and (to me) out-of-character reliance on fielding positions, he's be about perfect.