vab

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

So when do we clinch the AL East?

Wednesday night if Tampa loses and we win -- chances about 25%

Thursday night if both teams win their games on Wednesday, and then we win on Thursday (Tampa is off on Thursday). Or if we both lose on Wednesday, and then we win on Thursday -- chances about 70%. 

I’ve been mulling over whether to go to a game this week watch the O’s try to clinch, and that’s the very math I’m looking at.  I figure (1) there’s only a 25% or so chance they clinch Wednesday, and (2), even if they do, it could be an hour after the O’s game is over, so no on-field celebration.  So, I’m gonna wait until the Wednesday games are played and consider going on Thursday if the magic number is down to 1.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been mulling over whether to go to a game this week watch the O’s try to clinch, and that’s the very math I’m looking at.  I figure (1) there’s only a 25% or so chance they clinch Wednesday, and (2), even if they do, it could be an hour after the O’s game is over, so no on-field celebration.  So, I’m gonna wait until the Wednesday games are played and consider going on Thursday if the magic number is down to 1.   

The Tampa game starts 20 minutes before ours tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since the Tampa game starts before the Oriole game I am going tonight.  15 rows behind the dugout.  I am not going to miss this.  I will head out Thursday if necessary but I am hoping to wrap it up tonight.  Also to go by the two Brooks statues today just feels right.  

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

The Tampa game starts 20 minutes before ours tonight.

Oh.  That’s interesting.  Of course, last night their game took 37 minutes longer to play than ours.  

Back in 2012, I went to the home finale and there was a possibility that the O’s could clinch a playoff spot if the O’s won and the Texas beat the Angels. The O’s won their game and the Angels-Texas game (first game of a doubleheader) was in the late innings, Texas leading by one run, and they put it on the video board.  Most fans stayed and watched, and the players were hanging around too.  The Angels came back to win in the 9th inning, so there was no dramatic clinch then.  Instead, after everyone went home and the O’s got on a plane, Texas won the nightcap and the O’s clinched their spot.  But anyway, a similar scene could unfold tonight if the O’s win and the Tampa game is in doubt in the late innings when the O’s game ends.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh.  That’s interesting.  Of course, last night their game took 37 minutes longer to play than ours.  

Back in 2012, I went to the home finale and there was a possibility that the O’s could clinch a playoff spot if the O’s won and the Texas beat the Angels. The O’s won their game and the Angels-Texas game (first game of a doubleheader) was in the late innings, Texas leading by one run, and they put it on the video board.  Most fans stayed and watched, and the players were hanging around too.  The Angels came back to win in the 9th inning, so there was no dramatic clinch then.  Instead, after everyone went home and the O’s got on a plane, Texas won the nightcap and the O’s clinched their spot.  But anyway, a similar scene could unfold tonight if the O’s win and the Tampa game is in doubt in the late innings when the O’s game ends.  

I remember that game, I was there. Although people were rooting for Tex, for us to clinch, I was kinda pulling for the Angels because it would have helped our chances at getting the WC game at home.

40 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If not for McKenna we'd have locked it up today!!!!

FYI, I'm joking.   🙂 And very thankful that it appears that oppsie isn't going to matter in the end. 

Even though you're joking, I think it's only fair to point out that if not for McKenna, there's 2 games we probably would have lost. One was his walk off home run. The other was his game saving catch at the RF wall in Fenway a few weeks ago. 

Overall, that's a plus 1 win on behalf of McKenna's contribution when you consider all 3 games together.

• Upvote 1