What would you have said......?

Tony-OH

• Cedric Mullins would miss significant time with two stints on the IL --- shocked
  • Grayson Rodriguez would have 7.33 ERA in 11 starts --- depending on what point in spring training I wouldn't have been surprised 
  • Kyle Gibson would have a 4.76 ERA in 21 starts --- expected 
  • Dean Kremer would have a 4.80 ERA in 20 starts ---- expected 
  • Cole Irvin would have a 5.11 ERA in 8 starts, 11 games and spent significant time in AAA --- indifferent, I would have been shocked but not surprised 
  • Baker (3.83), Perez (4.88), Voth (4.94), and Akin (6.85) all would take steps back from their 2022 performances -- Perez is the only shocking one here
  • Mychal Givens would have an 11.25 ERA in just six games over 4 IP - not surprised 
  • Dillon Tate and John Means have not pitched in the majors yet - expected 
  • DL Hall would only pitch in only one game at the majors and be in Florida getting reset - not surprised 
  • Ryan Mountcastle would be slashing .233/.268/.424/.692 and lost his job against right-handers to Ryan O'Hearn - very shocked
  • Aaron Hicks would be starting outfielder for the Orioles - very shocked
  • Jorge Mateo would be slashing .214/.264/.346/.610 and lost his everyday gig - not even remotly surprised 
  • The Yankees would be in last place in the AL East - was praying for this 

All in all given all of this and with expectations from the rest of the team I thought we would be hovering back and forth around .500

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have trouble mentioning Bautista and Cano in the same breath at this point.   Cano was otherworldly in his first 20 games, but completely human over his last 21.   His overall numbers are still strong, but he’s been very average for two months now.   

Agreed…I think the BP was the reason the team got off to the great start and build that 10-15 game over 500 record.

I think now there is more balance in terms of “this is why we are winning”’and Cano coming back to earth is part of that.

Bautista is the team MVP imo.

• Upvote 3

Good post. I did pick us to win 90+, but how we got here is completely different. It thought Grayson would be our savior but instead it has been Bradish. Instead of Baker-Perez it has been Cano (a throw-in in the Lopez trade) and Coulombe (a waiver pickup). I thought Stowers would be our starting RF but instead Hicks has been great in the 4th spot. Tate and Givens are completely MIA. This team has faced plenty of adversity but we are still in first place in July in the toughest division of MLB. 

Elias has built up a tremendous depth so that if we lose someone at any position we have a viable replacement ready to step in.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bautista is the team MVP imo.

He has a strong case, and if the season ended today, I’d probably vote for him, but with some hesitation.  He’s certainly been about as dominant as a reliever can be.

Things are looking good.  ML team winning.  Healthy farm system.   Well run organization.    I am enjoying the ride.   The last two years have been very enjoyable and now watching Henderson, Bautista, Bradish, and others forming this young nucleus I’m probably enjoying this time of my Oriole fandom more than any other era.    I appreciate it!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has a strong case, and if the season ended today, I’d probably vote for him, but with some hesitation.  He’s certainly been about as dominant as a reliever can be.

I would get the idea of going with Adley or Gunnar because of the everyday thing.

But I just don’t feel it can be understated how valuable that back of the pen is. That’s why I think that’s easily a bigger need than a starter.

Last night was a prime example.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

It really bugged me in the spring when everyone was picking the Orioles to be bad. Yes we’ve had some injuries and struggles. And we’ve had some good stories. The real question I think is, Is Angelos and Elias willing to do what it takes to get us the rest of the way? I think we can agree we need a couple of additions and Angelos will have to approve added money and Mike will need to give up sone assets to get the deals done.

I've always thought luck is a BIG factor in baseball..

When you don't score runs, do you get a great pitching performance and opportunities to win

When you have poor pitching performances do you get just enough hitting for opportunities to win

A hitter goes 2-4 with 2 HR's in a game, they are both solo shots while the 2 outs were with runners in scoring position

You can add this to your list..

We were not good against the Reds, Braves, Brewers, Cubs or Dodgers, 

Exhibit A

image.png.b8e8ba5170e816b80cda15030271573c.png

Edited by Fan4Life
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think you can’t quantify how much he means in terms of wins.    He’s not perfect but he has been amazing.