My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.  3 -run lead. 9th inning.  You shouldn’t walk the leadoff man and especially shouldn’t throw a split on 2-2.

2. A cheap bloop to LF followed by a catchable ball to CF.   Now we know that Mateo can choke in multiple positions.  Nice, not great catch earlier.   A circuitous route to this one.

3. A great battle between Felix and Tucker.   Tucker and Alvarez are two reasons the Astros have been a great team.  Gotta give each credit.  Felix made some good pitches.  Bad location on the last one.

I’m not ripping Mateo. He didn’t choke. He has no experience out there. 

9 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’d say it’s time that Big Mike and Cano switch roles. Cano giving up the run in the 8th forces their hand to pitch Felix. Not only does he blow a 3-run lead but due to the number of pitches he threw he may he unavailable tomorrow and Thursday. 

Baumann walked the lead off guy in the 8th.  Cano got strikeout and ground out for first two outs.  Peña just grounded one through the hole.  Just like 9th can’t walk leadoff hitter to start inning or bad things happen.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not ripping Mateo. He didn’t choke. He has no experience out there. 

That's a tough play on a ball that was essentially blasted.  Bautista has to hang his hat on this one. He looked terrible tonight

If I’m being honest I was wondering when we would suffer one like this. We have been on a roll for awhile now. Playing real good vs good teams. 16-8 now since the break. Doing it with no Mullins and Hicks, Cowser not doing much, Hays slumping. Also inconsistent set up work. Finding ways to win with some adversity. 

See how they respond. 

25 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not our night tonight. There are 2 guys in that lineup that can do damage. We let both of them both do damage. We hit into multiple double plays that really hurt. They made more plays in the infield than us today. 

Meh, 4 guys.  Bergman and Altuve are dangerous.  Bottom of lineup isn’t scary though. 

Wasn't there a game last year where Tucker torched Bautista for a big hit? I believe he hit an offspeed speech and Palmer was critical, saying Tucker was a good breaking ball hitter but couldn't catch up to 100. I'm sure that encounter was on the coaches' minds.