Elias press conference notes

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

DL has always had control issues so maybe he's just dialing it back more frequently to try and command his pitches. Has anyone considered that possibility? If he's approaching it anything like Dean Kremer does, then if he wanted to lean back deep and throw a 4 seamer for 97 MPH he could, because he has before.

That said, I'm not holding my breath he would be any type of improvement over Cionel Perez or Keegan Akin this season. There's alot he needs to prove yet. 

I'm a big fan of DL Hall so I really want him to succeed. 

That's what Earl worked on with Steve Dalkowski in the minors and he almost made it....and by all accounts threw much harder.  Sad story.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we have pieces we are willing to move. But, they won’t be the first they ask Elias for.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees....  It's not giving up the outgoing talent that is the problem. It is paying the incoming talent.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think you're missing the forest for the trees....  It's not giving up the outgoing talent that is the problem. It is paying the incoming talent.

I think they would take on 5-7 million this year and maybe 15-20 next considering we are replacing Gibson if we traded for a guy we can control next year. Anything beyond that they will be looking for cash considerations.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's both.

Giving up a few high quality position players is inevitable. There are only so many positions on the field.

What will tell the story is when, and for what.

Will they take on significant payroll?  before the deadline?

Or will they (as I would predict) solve their roster crunch in the offseason... trading MLB arbs and MiLB position players for MiLB arms.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Could be but I assume the Mets are in sell mode.  It’s just a matter if it’s only their rentals or more?

Actually IMO the Mets are in a "buy" mode for prospects.   MLB may not be happy about it but they are no doubt considering assuming large portions of existing contracts based upon the prospect offers.  The sweeter the prospects the more assumption which skirts MLB rules-it's always happened to a degree but MLB's main concern IMO is the continuing escalation of salaries.

27 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Don't you know we can't trade Ortiz or Norby, then Mateo, Urias, and Fraizer wouldn't have no one to block which is their sole purpose 

Even without those three, we have Mayo, Norby, Ortiz, Westburg, and Holliday, plus Gunnar who's already here. We just have an overload of infield prospects.